1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to find the acceleration given time and total distance

1. Feb 10, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A particle moving along a straight line with constant acceleration starts its motion at t = 0. The particle is observed to change the direction of motion at t = 4 s, and when t = 10 s it reaches the position of −2 m with a −2.4 m/s velocity measured from a chosen reference frame. Find the position of the particle when it changes its direction of motion.

I know the answer is 5.2 m but I don't understand how to get that at all because when I use the average acceleration it's wrong.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2010 #2
    I got 5.68 m and I dont know whether it is correct or not
    I did like this..

first I use this equation to get the acceleration:
    v=v0+at
    since we have v=-2.4 , t=10 and v0=0
    then we got a=-0.24

then I used this formula (x2-x1)= v0(t2-t1) + 0.5a(t2-t1)^2

we have x2= -2 , v0=0 , a=-0.24 , t2=10 , t1=4 and x1 is unkown

I got 5.68 which is different from your answer :( so are u sure that the answer is 5.2?

4. Feb 11, 2010 #3

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The particle must have some initial velocity, otherwise, with constant acceleration, it could never change direction. Something is weird with this question!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook