How to find the amount of inter record gap in a magnatic tape?

• Thread starter seini
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gap
In summary: So, to find the largest IRG that will allow 80% of the data to be on the tape, you would use the following equation:Largest IRG = (Record Size / Data Density) * 100
seini
hello i have a question given to me on a tutorial which is to find what is the largest IRG that will allow 80 percent of the tape to be data in 2400 foot magnetic tape has recording density 6400 Bpi and data records are 100 bytes and memory buffer is 10,000. i have been looking every where but i did not find any luck ...can someone help me with this question please

Physics news on Phys.org
seini said:
hello i have a question given to me on a tutorial which is to find what is the largest IRG that will allow 80 percent of the tape to be data in 2400 foot magnetic tape has recording density 6400 Bpi and data records are 100 bytes and memory buffer is 10,000. i have been looking every where but i did not find any luck ...can someone help me with this question please

Welcome to the PF.

What kind of information does the tutorial give you before asking this question? There must be some context and useful information in the tutorial to help you answer this question, right?

well it suppose to be a tutorial but our lecturer said to go and do some research on it and the information that was given is the one i post it and our text did cover magnetic tape and i have been searching in the internet for it but it seem it does not really give me information on how to find it...

seini said:
well it suppose to be a tutorial but our lecturer said to go and do some research on it and the information that was given is the one i post it and our text did cover magnetic tape and i have been searching in the internet for it but it seem it does not really give me information on how to find it...

I could be missing something, but it looks to be just a straight math problem. You are given the data density in Bytes per inch (is that what Bpi stands for?), and you are given the amount of data and the length of the tape. You want the data to end up being 80% of the tape, so how big can the gaps be?

Try just working it as a math problem using the numbers you are given. Show us your work, so we can see if it seems you are on the right path.

berkeman said:
I could be missing something, but it looks to be just a straight math problem.

I think that's right, because this is back-to-front compared with how the format of real mag tape used to work. The inter-record gap was a fixed size, long enough (usually a few mm) to allow the tape to stop and start between records. The thing you could change was the data record (block) length, not the gap length.

1. What is an inter record gap in a magnetic tape?

The inter record gap in a magnetic tape refers to the space between two consecutive data records on the tape. It is used to separate data and serves as a marker for the beginning and end of each record.

2. Why is it important to measure the inter record gap in a magnetic tape?

Measuring the inter record gap is important because it helps to ensure the accuracy and integrity of the data stored on the tape. It also allows for proper alignment and reading of the data during playback.

3. How do you measure the inter record gap in a magnetic tape?

The inter record gap can be measured by using a magnetic tape tester or a specialized measuring device. These tools can accurately determine the distance between the beginning of one record and the beginning of the next.

4. What factors can affect the inter record gap in a magnetic tape?

The inter record gap can be affected by several factors, including the type of tape used, the speed at which it is read, and the condition of the tape itself. Additionally, any damage or wear to the tape or the tape reader can also impact the inter record gap.

5. Are there any standards for the inter record gap in magnetic tapes?

Yes, there are standards set by organizations such as the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) and the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) that specify the minimum and maximum allowable inter record gaps for different types of magnetic tapes. These standards ensure consistency and compatibility across different tape formats.