How to find the decay rate of processes: a→ b+c

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
Jamiemma1995
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Homework Statement
Show using isospin symmetry that the probabilities of the decays ∆+ → π^+n and ∆+ → π_0p are expected to be in the ratio

Γ(∆+ → π^+n)/ Γ(∆+ → π_0p)=1 /2

I unfortunately missed the classes that covered this last week due to severe health problems , I don't want anyone to solve it for me I want to learn , but my problem is I don't know how to find the decay rate of processes. Could anyone please explain the method, and give the relevant equations and then I can work it out for myself .
Relevant Equations
N.A.
As mentioned above I'm unable to begin because I don't know the relevant equations or method.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You need the following equations for the relevant iso-spin states:
[tex]|\pi^{+}n\rangle \equiv |1, 1 \rangle |\frac{1}{2} , - \frac{1}{2} \rangle = \sqrt {\frac{1}{3}} \ | \frac{3}{2} , \frac{1}{2} \rangle + \sqrt{\frac{2}{3}} \ | \frac{1}{2} , \frac{1}{2} \rangle ,[/tex][tex]|\pi^{0}p \rangle \equiv |1 , 0 \rangle |\frac{1}{2} , + \frac{1}{2} \rangle = \sqrt{\frac{2}{3}} \ |\frac{3}{2} , \frac{1}{2} \rangle - \sqrt{\frac{1}{3}} \ |\frac{1}{2} , \frac{1}{2}\rangle .[/tex] Now, solve these equations for [itex]|\Delta^{+} \rangle \equiv |\frac{3}{2} , \frac{1}{2} \rangle[/itex] and obtain equation of the form [tex]|\Delta^{+} \rangle = a \ |\pi^{+}n\rangle + b \ |\pi^{0}p \rangle .[/tex] Make sure that [itex]|a|^{2} + |b|^{2} = 1[/itex]. Now [tex]\frac{\Gamma ( \Delta^{+} \to \pi^{+} n )}{ \Gamma ( \Delta^{+} \to \pi^{0} p )} = \frac{|a|^{2}}{|b|^{2}} .[/tex]
 
samalkhaiat said:
Make sure that [itex]|a|^{2} + |b|^{2} = 1[/itex].
Normalising the state is generally a good advice, but not that relevant here since the sought result is a decay rate ratio.
 
Jamiemma1995 said:
Could anyone please explain the method, and give the relevant equations and then I can work it out for myself?
Don't you have a textbook? I'm sure it explains how to do this kind of calculation as well as giving examples.
 
Orodruin said:
Normalising the state is generally a good advice, but not that relevant here since the sought result is a decay rate ratio.
The advice was about solving the equations correctly. Normalization is not the issue here, [itex]10^{23}|\Delta^{+}\rangle[/itex] and [itex]|\Delta^{+}\rangle[/itex] lead to the same ratio. However, obtaining [itex]a^{2} + b^{2} = 1[/itex] means that his solution is definitely correct.
 
samalkhaiat said:
The advice was about solving the equations correctly. Normalization is not the issue here, [itex]10^{23}|\Delta^{+}\rangle[/itex] and [itex]|\Delta^{+}\rangle[/itex] lead to the same ratio. However, obtaining [itex]a^{2} + b^{2} = 1[/itex] means that his solution is definitely correct.
It is correct either way if you include the argument with the ratio. In fact, it is a very common way and important tool when solving for ratios to only care about proportionality and not the constant in front.