What is the percentage of Cs137 decays that result in a gamma ray emission?

In summary, the rock would produce a count rate of gamma rays if 95% of the nuclei decayed into an excited Ba nucleus, and then it would produce a count rate of x-rays for the remaining 10% of the excited Ba nuclei that decay by internal conversion.
Hertz
So I have a problem where I'm given the decay rate of a sample which contains Cs137, 10 mCi, and I'm basically given the percentage of radiation detected by the detector. But the wording of the question is:

"What count rate would be observed in a perfectly efficient gamma detector"

Sounds to me like they only care about the intensity of gamma rays and not other particles which are released. I found this diagram but it's what's causing my confusion:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caesium-137#mediaviewer/File:Cs-137-decay.svg

So 95% of the nuclei decay into an excited Ba nucleus which then decays into a stable barium nucleus and a gamma ray. This seems to be the only way gamma rays are produced from the Cs137. Makes sense. So what is the 85%?? Only 85% of the excited barium nuclei release a gamma ray? Or 85% of the Cs137 release a gamma ray? What happens to the remaining excited barium nuclei, do they decay in a different way which doesn't release a gamma ray?

If we let P be the percentage of Cs radiation detected and R the overall decay rate of the sample and we suppose 85% of Cs decays result in a gamma ray, then is the detection rate of gamma rays ##r=0.85RP##?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hertz said:
So 95% of the nuclei decay into an excited Ba nucleus which then decays into a stable barium nucleus and a gamma ray. This seems to be the only way gamma rays are produced from the Cs137. Makes sense. So what is the 85%?? Only 85% of the excited barium nuclei release a gamma ray? Or 85% of the Cs137 release a gamma ray?

I believe it's the latter; i.e., 85% of the Cs decays end up leading to a gamma emission by a Ba nucleus..

What happens to the remaining excited barium nuclei, do they decay in a different way which doesn't release a gamma ray?

About 10% of the excited Ba nuclei decay by a process known as internal conversion.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internal_conversion

The remaining 90% of the excited Ba decay by gamma emission. Note 90% of 95% yields approximately 85%.

If we let P be the percentage of Cs radiation detected and R the overall decay rate of the sample and we suppose 85% of Cs decays result in a gamma ray, then is the detection rate of gamma rays ##r=0.85RP##?

I think that's right, but I can't say for sure that I'm interpreting the wording of the problem correctly.

No problem! Thank you for the help!

If you are curious here is the exact wording:
1. A lump of radioactive rock contains 10 milliCuries (mCi) of 137Cs55. See the chart on commonly used radioactive sources at pdg.lbl.gov for half lives and photon emission characteristics. (a) How many 137Cs55 nuclei are present in the rock? (b) What count rate would be observed in a perfectly efficient gamma detector, with a surface area of 4 cm2 , at a distance of 50 cm from the rock? (c) What count rate would be observed by the same detector, 20 years later?

I'm on part B and I'm pretty sure I can do C if I understand B. To find P I took the area of the detector divided by the surface area of a sphere of radius 50cm

When internal conversion occurs, an x-ray photon is usually produced from the atomic electrons. This occurs in about 90% of the internal conversions for the excited Ba 137 according to this link: http://www.phywe.com/index.php/fuseaction/download/lrn_file/versuchsanleitungen/P2524515/e/P2524515.pdf . Apparently, the gamma detector would count these x-rays along with the gamma rays emitted from the nucleus. Browsing the web, I found data that indicate that for every 100 Cs 137 nuclei, you would get about 85 gammas and about 6 x-rays from internal conversion.

[Some internal conversions don't produce x-rays, they produce "Auger electrons" instead. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auger_effect ]

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is Gamma Emission of Cs Sample?

Gamma Emission of Cs Sample refers to the process of releasing gamma radiation from a sample of the chemical element cesium. Gamma radiation is a type of electromagnetic radiation that is emitted from the atomic nucleus of an atom, and cesium is a radioactive element that can undergo this type of emission.

2. How is Gamma Emission of Cs Sample measured?

Gamma Emission of Cs Sample is measured using a device called a gamma spectrometer. This instrument detects and measures the energy and intensity of gamma radiation emitted from the cesium sample. The data collected by the gamma spectrometer can then be used to analyze the properties of the sample and determine the type and amount of radioactive material present.

3. What are the potential hazards of Gamma Emission of Cs Sample?

The main hazard of Gamma Emission of Cs Sample is exposure to ionizing radiation. This type of radiation can damage cells and tissues in the body, leading to potential health effects such as cancer. It is important to handle and dispose of cesium samples properly and follow safety protocols to minimize exposure to gamma radiation.

4. Why is Gamma Emission of Cs Sample important in scientific research?

Gamma Emission of Cs Sample is important in scientific research because it allows scientists to study the properties and behavior of radioactive materials. This can provide valuable insights into the structure and processes of atoms, as well as potential applications in fields such as nuclear energy, medicine, and environmental monitoring.

5. Can Gamma Emission of Cs Sample be controlled or manipulated?

Gamma Emission of Cs Sample cannot be controlled or manipulated by external factors. This process is a natural property of radioactive elements like cesium, and the rate of emission is determined by the half-life of the element. However, the effects of gamma radiation can be shielded or reduced through proper handling and safety measures.