How to find the mass of a pith ball using electric forces?

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the mass of a pith ball charged by a Van De Graaff machine and repelled away from the dome. The conversation mentions using a chart with distances and angles to calculate the electrostatic force and using the proportionality equation to find the charges of the pith ball and generator. The person also mentions not being sure how to separate the charges or find the mass of the pith ball without acceleration. The conversation concludes with suggestions of considering other forces and drawing a free body diagram for the ball.
Shannon Smyth

Homework Statement

A pith ball is charged by contact with a Van De Graaff machine, and is repelled away from the dome. It remains at its location. Using the chart given, what is the mass of the pith ball?

Distance between centre of generator and pith ball
0.25 m
0.30 m
0.35 m
0.40 m
0.50 m
0.60 m
0.70 m

angle of pith ball string
17.3º
15.8º
14.0º
10.8º
7.0º
4.9º
3.6º

electrostatic force (x10-3 N)

Homework Equations

Fe = kq1q2/r2

E = kq/r2

Fe (is proportional to) 1/r2

The Attempt at a Solution

I made a graph using the proportionality equation, and calculated the slope to be 2.67. That means that kq1q2 is 2.67, so I divided it by k, which is 8.99x109, and got 2.97x10-10. So I know that the charges of the pith ball and generator multiply to equal that, but I don't know how to separate them or find the mass of the pith ball after that. I don't even know if what I've done will actually help me get an answer... none of the formulas I have relate mass to these numbers in any way unless I have an acceleration, and the pith ball is motionless so that's not possible.

If anybody could offer suggestions to help, I would appreciate it very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
What other forces could be on the ball besides the electrostatic one?
Did you draw a free body diagram for the ball?

1. How does electric force affect the mass of a pith ball?

Electric force is a type of non-contact force that can cause objects to attract or repel each other. In the case of a pith ball, the electric force is responsible for pulling the ball towards or away from a charged object. This force can affect the mass of the pith ball because it can cause the ball to move and change its position on a balance, which can alter its measured mass.

2. What is the equation for calculating the mass of a pith ball using electric forces?

The equation for calculating the mass of a pith ball using electric forces is m = Fg/g, where m represents the mass of the pith ball, Fg is the force of gravity acting on the ball, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This equation takes into account the changes in the position of the pith ball caused by the electric force.

3. How can I measure the electric force acting on a pith ball?

The electric force acting on a pith ball can be measured using a device called an electroscope. This instrument uses a metal rod with a pith ball attached at one end and a graduated scale at the other. By bringing a charged object close to the pith ball, the electric force will cause the ball to move and the scale can be used to measure the strength of the force.

4. Can the mass of a pith ball change due to electric forces?

Yes, the mass of a pith ball can change due to electric forces. Since the electric force can cause the ball to move and change its position on a balance, it can affect the measured mass of the ball. Additionally, the electric force may also cause the pith ball to gain or lose electrons, which can also alter its mass.

5. How can I account for air resistance when measuring the mass of a pith ball using electric forces?

In order to account for air resistance, it is important to minimize any air currents in the room where the experiment is taking place. This can be achieved by conducting the experiment in a closed, still environment or by using a protective cover around the pith ball. Additionally, taking multiple measurements and averaging the results can also help to reduce the effects of air resistance.