1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The force between charged and neutral object

1. Sep 11, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I did a lab involving Van de Graaff generator. Basically, below the charged sphere, I put a neutral sphere on a scale and measure the difference in mass which then I can calculate the force acting on the neutral sphere. I repeated the experiment with different distance. What is the proportionality between the force and the distance? One of the tutor said the force is proportional to 1/r^5 but he didn't explain much about it.

2. Relevant equations
    -

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know that from coulomb law that the force is proportional to 1/r^2. However I can only use this equation to calculate the force between two charged objects, while my experiment is about the force between a charged and a neutral object.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2016 #2

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Suppose F = k/rn. You can certainly write F1=k/r1n and F2=k/r2n. Can you put these two equations together with the forces and distances that you measured and find k and n? An accurate determination might be difficult with just two measurements, but if that's all you got, it will have to do.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
  4. Sep 11, 2016 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Don't know if this works, but you could try considering instead two small conductors, lined up with the charged sphere, connected by a short thin wire. These would form a dipole from the induced charges. You might obtain an r-5 relationship in that model.

Edit: it does indeed produce that relationship.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted