1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to find the number that's evenly divisible by a set of numbers from 1 to n?

1. Aug 17, 2011 #1
    How can you go about finding the smallest number (x) that is evenly divisible by a set of numbers from 1 to n?

For example:

If n = 3, x=6
    n = 4, x=12
    n=5, x=60
    n=6, x=60

This is easy to do when n is a small number, however how would one go about finding the answer if n=20 for example?

I have written a program that tries to brute force the answer, but I'm almost certain there's a much more elegant way to do it. Any advice?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2011 #2
    Here's the program I wrote by the way, incase anyone is interested:
    Code (Text):

class Problem5 {
     static int[] theArray;
    static int multiplyer = 11 ;
     static boolean test= false;
    static int current;

//Makes array
     void maker (int number){
       for(int i=number; i>0; i--){
         theArray[i-1]=i;

}
      }  

public static void main (String[] args){

Problem5 instance1 = new Problem5();
       theArray = new int[multiplyer];
       instance1.maker(multiplyer);
       current = theArray[theArray.length-1];
       System.out.println (current);

while (test == false){
         for(int i = theArray.length; i>0; i--){
         if (current % theArray[i-1]>0){
           current = current + theArray[multiplyer -1];
           i=0;
           test = false;
         } else{
           System.out.println(current+" is divisible by "+ theArray[i-1]);
           test = true;
         }
        }  
       }

}

}

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2011
  4. Aug 17, 2011 #3
    Phrased another way, your problem is to find the lowest common multiple (LCM) of a set of numbers from 1,...,n . Luckily, there is an easy formula to get the LCM for two numbers a and b from the greatest common divisor (GCD): LCM(a,b) = |a*b|/GCD(a,b) . I say luckily because finding the GCD is easy - just use the Euclidean algorithm. There's probably a snazzy way to deal with this for more than two numbers but you could adopt it by finding LCM(a,b), then LCM(LCM(a,b),c), etc. Check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Least_common_multiple

If you stick with a brute force approach, remember that apart from {1}, each set contains 2. Think about what this means for the LCM...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook