How to find the surface area of a sphere?

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter live4physics
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Formula Sphere Surface
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 12K views
live4physics
Messages
24
Reaction score
0
4 Pi r2

I know this formula, but anyone knows, how can I figure out (by methods, algebra) the sphere surface formula ?

Thanks
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
You might, for example, differentiate the formula for the volume of a ball with respect to the radius.

There are many other ways as well.
 
arildno said:
You might, for example, differentiate the formula for the volume of a ball with respect to the radius.

Sorry, I did not say, but I would like not to use calculus for this, just geometry or algebra for demonstration.

For exemple:
the triangle area is:
[tex]A_{t} = \frac{b h} { 2 }[/tex]
if I put a triangle inside a circle, where the top of it is the centre of circle, and I use infinity number of triangles, and with base near to zero, the sum of all bases is igual [tex]2 r \pi[/tex] and the height will be iqual the radius of circle, then, the area of circle will be the sum of area for all triangles, i.e.,

[tex]A_{c} = \frac{2 r \pi r } { 2 } = \pi r^2[/tex]

Thank you very much.
 
Last edited:
Well, you might have a go at Archimedes' way of proving it, here's a link to a page describing that method:
http://www.maths.uwa.edu.au/~schultz/3M3/L7Archimedes1.html
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Archimedes (although he didn't know it) invented integral calculus to get things like the calculation of pi by taking the limit of areas of regular polygons to get the area of a circle.
 
In general there is no way to determine the area under a curve or of a curved surface without using some kind of limit process, which is at least walking on the boundary of calculus.