Flat surface to curved surface

• I
  • Thread starter anilswipe
  • Start date
anilswipe
Hello everybody,

Suppose I take a paper of say surface area A.

Then I would somehow (Do what it takes to do it; cut, fold whatever but no overlapping.) make an ideally and theoretically, biggest possible, perfect sphere out of it. Let's say the surface area of this sphere is A'.

Now how much is the difference between the surface area of the two?

Is there a general formula to find this?

In lay man's terms:
Suppose I take a plane paper and convert it into a sphere without overlapping, how much paper will be leftover? What is the generalized mathematical formula, if there is one, to find the difference between the surface areas of the two?

Thank you.

PS: Though I have chosen the suffix 'Intermediate', (assuming, possibly wrongly, that there may not be High school grade answers to this) I would gladly invite Basic High school grade answers if possible, to keep things simpler and I would invite higher grade answers, if absolutely necessary.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
You can't make a sphere from a flat piece of paper. For the same reason you can't flatten out a spherical surface.

That said, if you cut the paper up into small very pieces and stuck them all together, you could get an approximate sphere of the same total area.

PeroK said:
That said, if you cut the paper up into small very pieces and stuck them all together, you could get an approximate sphere of the same total area.
I get it, but I suppose , that is not what I want to do and which also means that I have not been able to put my thought across. I apologize for that and would edit the post to that effect. Thanks for the reply.

1. How does a flat surface transform into a curved surface?

When a flat surface is transformed into a curved surface, it typically involves bending or shaping the material to create a curvature. This can be done through various methods such as molding, pressing, or stretching the material to achieve the desired curved shape.

2. What are the advantages of using curved surfaces over flat surfaces?

Curved surfaces offer several advantages over flat surfaces, including increased strength and stability, improved aerodynamics, and enhanced aesthetic appeal. Curved surfaces are also better at distributing stress and pressure, making them ideal for applications where durability and performance are important.

3. How are curved surfaces used in architecture and design?

Curved surfaces are commonly used in architecture and design to create visually striking and unique structures. They can be used to add dimension and depth to a building, as well as to improve acoustics and lighting. Curved surfaces are also popular in furniture design, automotive design, and product design for their aesthetic appeal and functional benefits.

4. What are some examples of everyday objects that feature curved surfaces?

Some examples of everyday objects that feature curved surfaces include smartphones, cars, kitchen appliances, and furniture. These objects often incorporate curved surfaces for ergonomic reasons, aesthetic appeal, or functional purposes. Curved surfaces can also be found in nature, such as in shells, leaves, and waves.

5. How can mathematical principles be applied to understand the transformation from flat to curved surfaces?

Mathematical principles such as geometry, calculus, and differential equations can be used to analyze and understand the transformation from flat to curved surfaces. By studying the curvature, surface area, and volume of a curved surface, mathematicians and scientists can develop models and equations to describe and predict the behavior of curved surfaces in various applications.