How to find the turns ratio between the primary and secondary coils.

  • Thread starter Thread starter nontradstuden
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Coils Ratio
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
nontradstuden
Messages
51
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Find the turns ratio across the transformer such that a spark is given off at the points AB. The distance from point A to point B is 5.00 mm.

AB is the distance across the secondary coil.

The frequency and voltage of the primary coil is given.

Homework Equations



N_p /N_s = V_p / V_s = I_s /I_p


The Attempt at a Solution



I don't know where to start. I got it wrong. I was given the answer, but not the solution to the problem. Could I get some help on where to start?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
What potential must exist between points A and B in order for a spark to jump the gap?
 
gneill,

Thanks for helping. I honestly don't know what I was thinking. I knew the potential of the secondary coil had to be the dielectric constant of air multiplied by the distance AB.
 
nontradstuden said:
gneill,

Thanks for helping. I honestly don't know what I was thinking. I knew the potential of the secondary coil had to be the dielectric constant of air multiplied by the distance AB.

I think you mean the dielectric breakdown strength of air :smile: