Solving Transformer Problems: Primary and Secondary Coils

• Thread starter kkarapet
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Transformer
In summary, a transformer has 300 primary windings and 804 secondary windings. If the potential difference across the primary coil is 21.0 V, the voltage across the secondary coil is 56.3 V. When the secondary coil is connected to a 145 Ohms resistor, the effective load resistance reflected back to the primary winding is unknown. This can be deduced using an energy-conservation argument.
kkarapet
Transformer problem, Please Help!

Please help with this problem.

A transformer consists of 300 primary windings and 804 secondary windings.
a) If the potential difference across the primary coil is 21.0 , what is the voltage across the secondary coil ?
Found this part, Vs = 56.3 V

b) If the potential difference across the primary coil is 21.0 V , what is the effective load resistance of the secondary coil if it is connected across a 145 Ohms resistor?

This part I am not getting. Is it saying that 145 Ohms is Rp (Resistance of the primary coil) ??, or there are more than one resistors for the secondary coil and I need to find the Req. Please help!

Homework Statement

Physics news on Phys.org
Probably they mean what resistance is reflected back to the primary winding. In other words, what resistance does the 21V source see?

You can deduce the answer from an energy-conservation argument.

Thank you!

Related to Solving Transformer Problems: Primary and Secondary Coils

1. What is a transformer?

A transformer is an electrical device that is used to transfer energy from one circuit to another without any direct electrical connection between them. It works on the principle of electromagnetic induction and is commonly used to step up or step down the voltage in power distribution systems.

2. What are the common problems associated with transformers?

The most common problems with transformers include overheating, voltage drops, and insulation breakdown. Other issues may include loose connections, winding failures, and physical damage.

3. How can I identify a transformer problem?

Signs of a transformer problem may include flickering lights, buzzing or humming sounds, high energy bills, and burning smells. Visual inspections can also reveal physical damage or abnormal readings on the transformer's gauges.

4. What should I do if I suspect a transformer problem?

If you suspect a transformer problem, it is important to contact a qualified electrician or power company immediately. Do not attempt to handle the issue on your own, as transformers can be dangerous and should only be handled by trained professionals.

5. How can I prevent transformer problems?

Regular maintenance and inspections can help prevent transformer problems. This includes checking for loose connections, keeping the transformer area clear of debris, and monitoring the temperature and voltage levels. It is also important to follow proper installation and usage guidelines to prevent any potential issues.