1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to find the vertex of G(t)=1/2(t^2-4t)

1. Feb 17, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    G(t)=1/2(t^2-4t)

3. The attempt at a solution
    Since this is a polynomial it's all real numbers for domain
    y-int:
    G(0)=1/2(0^2-4(0)
    y-int=(0,0)

x-int:
    0=1/2(t^2-4t)
    0=(1/2)t(t-4)
    Not sure...

And not sure about the vertex. I know the formula -b/2a but how do i find those two points for the graph thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2015 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What exactly are you asking ?
    And what do you mean with x-int ? intercept on the x -axis ? well, with your y-int you already found (0,0) which is one of the roots.
    And if you can write 0=(1/2)t(t-4) , you can see that this is the case if x = 0 (already found) ##\vee## x = 4.

You know the formula -b/(2a). It has to do with the equation ax2 + bx + c = 0 and represents the sum average of the roots. In your case 4.

Could the vertex you mention be the extreme of G ?

[edit] not sum but average

4. Feb 17, 2015 #3

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Instead of being fixated on some formula for the vertex, what is characteristic about the vertex of the parabola?

5. Feb 17, 2015 #4
    Would I have to complete the square to find the vertex? like so

G(t)=1/2(t^2-4t)
    G(t)=1/2(t^2-4t+4) -4
    G(t)=1/2(t-2)^2 -4
    Vertex form: y=a(x-h)^2 +k
    and vertex is (h,k)
    so (2,-4)

6. Feb 17, 2015 #5

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You've done it ! Well done. Can you make the link with the -b/(2a) formula ? If you can, you've really mastered the subject.

7. Feb 17, 2015 #6
    I think. The vertex is actually (2,-2) I double checked it. Is that because when I have the form G(t)=1/2(t-2)^2 -4 I have to take the 1/2 out and times that with -4 to output -2? so then (2,-2). Is -b/(2a) connection between taking the form G(t)=1/2(t^2-4t+4) so A=1,B=-4,C=4. So I plug in 4/(2(1) = 2 that's the X and then the y-intercept is G(0)=1/2(0^2-4(0)+4) so then 1/2*4/1=(0,2) and put the 2 in for the x and keep the 2 for the Y?

8. Feb 17, 2015 #7

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Sorry I forgot about the 1/2. You're right.

In writing G in 'vertex form' you found the vertex directly.

ax2 + bx + c in 'vertex form' would be someting like ##a (x - {-b\over 2a} )^2 - \left (({-b\over 2a})^2 - c\right )## (*)

To form G, the 1/2 can serve as a. Then b is -2 and c is zero . So -b/(2a) is 2, as you found.

(*) One step further you have this infamous

'if b^2 > 4ac this can be written as
    $$
    a \left ( \left ( x - {-b\over 2a} \right )^2 - \left ( \sqrt { \left (\left ({-b\over 2a}\right )^2 - {c\over a} \ \right )}\ \right )^2\ \ \right ) = \\

a\ \left ( x + {b\over 2a} + {\sqrt {b^2 - 4ac} \over 2a } \right ) \; \left ( x + {b\over 2a} - {\sqrt {b^2 - 4ac} \over 2a } \right ) = \\
    a\ \left ( x + {b + \sqrt {b^2 - 4ac} \over 2a } \right ) \; \left ( x + {b - \sqrt {b^2 - 4ac} \over 2a } \right )
    $$
    that will solve all quadratic equations in any career :smile:

9. Feb 17, 2015 #8
    I just need to confirm this here since I have G(t)=1/2(t-2)^2 -4 why does the -4 become -2? does it multiply with 1/2?
    Thank you

10. Feb 17, 2015 #9

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

G(t)=1/2(t^2-4t)
    G(t)=1/2 ##\Bigl (## (t^2-4t+4) -4 ##\Bigr )##
    G(t)=1/2(t-2)^2 -2

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted