Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A How to find vibrational frequency for specific bond? (DFT)

1. May 5, 2016 #1
    Hello,
    I performed an optimization and frequency calculation at the ub3lyp 6-311g level of theory. The compound has the formula C39H41PS2. Using Molden, I am having a hard time identifying the frequency corresponding to the stretching of a phosphorus carbon double bond present in the molecule. I expect the frequency to be very low in intensity which makes my task harder. I am wondering if there is any way to obtain this information directly from the output file without having to click every frequency on Molden. Thank you very much.
    upload_2016-5-5_18-56-52.png

2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2016 #2

DrDu

Science Advisor

The calculation does not give you a value for the stretching of only this bond. Rather this stretching will contribute to several normal modes. Looking at the output of your calculation, you should see a list of the normal vibrations and the contribution of the individual atoms. Identify those normal modes where the C and P atom in question make a large contribution.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted