How to get activity of 1g of radium 226?

• Thread starter hermtm2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Activity
In summary: This is due to the presence of the daughters Pb-212 and Bi-212 in the equilibrium chain."In summary, one can determine the activity of 1 gram of radium 226 by using the definition of activity, which is A = λN, where λ is the decay constant and N is the number of atoms. The value of λ can be determined from the half-life, and N can be calculated using Avogadro's number and the atomic mass of Ra 226. One curie is equal to 3.7×10^10 decays per second or becquerels. However, in practice, there will be a number of daughter products in equilibrium with the parent, which can be accounted for using Nucleonica
hermtm2
Hello.

I am taking Neculear Power Resource Engineering 402.
The one of the homework is to calculate
activity of 1g of radium 226 as Becquerel and Curie unit?
Can you guys give an equation to me?

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
From the mass of Ra 226, one can determine the number of atoms. Then one may use the definition of activity, which is:

A = λN, where λ is the decay constant, and N is the number of atoms.

λ can be determined from the half-life, if it is not already know.

A can be written in decays, or disintegrations per sec, dps, and one should know the value of Ci in dps.

"A can be written in decays, or disintegrations per sec, dps, and one should know the value of Ci in dps. "

λ = ln(2)/T(1/2)
N = 226 amu

What does the last sentence mean?Thanks.

N = Number of atoms = Avogadro's number divided by atomic mass. Afterall, atomic mass is just the mass (in grams) of matter in a mole or 6.022 E23 atoms.

If λ is given in s-1, then A has units of decays, or disintegrations, per second.

There is a definition of Curie (Ci) in units of disintegrations per sec.

T(1/2) = 1600 years
λ = ln(2)/T(1/2) = 0.000433
N = 6.022*10e23/226 = 2.6646e21

A = λN = 1.15435e18 curie.

Am I on the right track?

Thanks.

Be sure to write in your units so that you can stay consistent. Your kept your half-life in years so what units would your decay constant be?
1 curie has a value of a certain number of decays/sec. You should look it up, and see what else you can find about where it came from, it will help answer this question.

hermtm2 said:
T(1/2) = 1600 years
λ = ln(2)/T(1/2) = 0.000433
N = 6.022*10e23/226 = 2.6646e21

A = λN = 1.15435e18 curie.

Am I on the right track?
With the half-life given in years (as indicated by theCandyman), the decay constant would be given in 1/yr or yr-1. How many seconds in 1600 years?

Last edited:
I see what the half-life unit should be.
But here is another question: What is the unit of λ and N each?

The question specifically ask 1g of radium, so where can I get the gram unit?
Also the formula in my textbook shows A(t)=λN(t). How do I define the "t" without given time from the original question?

What I am guessing is that the unit of curie is defined by sec. Is that right?

Thanks.

Activity A has units of decays (or disintegration) per unit time, where the unit time is usually in seconds.

The decay constant λ has units of per unit time, usually 1/s or s-1.

N or N(t) is just the number of atoms present at a given time t. There is one decay per atom.

A = dN(t)/dt = λ N(t), which is a first order differential equation.

Reference:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/nuclear/halfli2.html

Caution - the hyperphysics site use A for the amount of radioactive material, so don't get confused.

In the problem, one is 'given' 1 gram of Ra-226. That's an arbitrary input to the problem.

One uses the fact that the atomic mass 226 means that there are 226 grams of Ra-226 in a gram-mole (mole) of Ra, and there are 6.022 E23 atoms of any substance in a gram mole, so

1 gram yields (6.022 E23 atoms/g-mole )/ (226 g/g-mole) = 2.6646 E21 atoms of Ra-226. One is on the right track.

1 Ci = 3.7×1010 decays per second or becquerels. 1 Bq = 1 decay per s

Last edited:
Isn't this kind of a trick question? I thought 1 curie was defined as the activity of 1 gram of radium :tongue2:

QuantumPion said:
Isn't this kind of a trick question? I thought 1 curie was defined as the activity of 1 gram of radium :tongue2:

Yeah, but the point of the exercise is to show you know what log(2) and Eva Gardner's number mean, to see how it all fits together.

The problem could be re-written:
What's the activity of one gram Ra-226
"easy - one curie!"

OK, what's the 1/2 life of Ra-226?
"Ummmmm...

QuantumPion said:
The OP needs to calculate it.

Now I see.

Thanks guys.

Ahhh, you gave him the answer, Quantum!

Use the Mass Activity Calculator in Nucleonica (www.nucleonica.net, requires registration).
Information on this module can be found on the Nucleonica wiki page at...
http://www.nucleonica.net/wiki/index.php/Help:Mass_Activity_Calculator

However, be careful! This is the activity for the pure Ra-226 parent only. In practice there will be a number of daughter products in "equilibrium" with the parent. These effects can be analysed using Nucleonica's Decay Engine (the wiki page is at...
http://www.nucleonica.net/wiki/index.php/Help:Decay_Engine).

Even after only 1 year, the activitiy of an initially pure Ra-226 sample will be around 2.2E11 Bq, i.e. a factor five higher than that of the parent alone.

Last edited:

1. How can I measure the activity of 1g of radium 226?

The activity of a radioactive substance such as radium 226 is typically measured in terms of its decay rate, also known as its half-life. This can be determined by using a radiation detector, such as a Geiger counter, to measure the number of radioactive particles emitted per unit time.

2. Can I calculate the activity of 1g of radium 226 without using specialized equipment?

Unfortunately, it is not possible to accurately determine the activity of a radioactive substance without the use of specialized equipment. This is because the decay rate of radium 226 is extremely low and cannot be detected by our senses alone.

3. How long does it take for 1g of radium 226 to reach its half-life?

The half-life of radium 226 is approximately 1,600 years. This means that after 1,600 years, half of the original 1g sample will have decayed into other elements. After another 1,600 years, half of the remaining sample will have decayed, and so on.

4. Is 1g of radium 226 considered a dangerous amount?

Yes, 1g of radium 226 is considered a dangerous amount due to its high levels of radioactivity. Exposure to this amount of radium can lead to serious health effects, including radiation sickness and an increased risk of developing cancer.

5. Are there any regulations or safety precautions for handling 1g of radium 226?

Yes, there are regulations and safety precautions in place for handling 1g of radium 226, as with any other radioactive substance. It is important to follow proper safety protocols and use protective gear when working with this material to minimize exposure and potential health risks.