How to get help with theoretical physics?

In summary: That will cover the major requirements for both majors, and you can take your math courses at a community or junior college and then take your physics courses at a more reputable university. my school (UCSB) doesn't allow students to take classes that arent in their major (stupid, I know), but I have been looking into becoming a physics major. The only problem is that its already the last quarter of my junior year so I would have so much catching up to do.In summary, a college student with a good knowledge of basic physics is looking for ways to connect with physics experts, but is discouraged because he doesn't know any professors. If he were to become a physics major, he would have to change his major
qazwsxedc
Im a college student with a good knowledge of basic physics. I am majoring in math (unfortunately) but I spend all of my spare time researching physics. I have a lot of ideas for physics inventions but no physics experts to talk with because I don't know any of the professors. When I email random ones or approach them in office hours they seem confused and not that willing to help a non-physics major with non-course specific material. Does anyone have advice on how to contact a physics expert that would entertain the ideas of a non-expert physicist?

Physics news on Phys.org
qazwsxedc said:
Im a college student with a good knowledge of basic physics. I am majoring in math (unfortunately) but I spend all of my spare time researching physics. I have a lot of ideas for physics inventions but no physics experts to talk with because I don't know any of the professors. When I email random ones or approach them in office hours they seem confused and not that willing to help a non-physics major with non-course specific material. Does anyone have advice on how to contact a physics expert that would entertain the ideas of a non-expert physicist?

Why don't you sign up for some physics courses? Or do a double-major in math and physics?

Post your ideas on this site! We'll be happy to point out any flaws, benefits or things you should look into. You'll find many physics experts on this site.

If you're 'unfortunately' majoring in math, then why aren't you majoring in physics?

I know a lot of math majors who are minoring or double majoring in physics. If you're just looking for someone off of whom to bounce ideas, even just taking your university's intro physics course might suffice, since that would put you in contact with at least one professor (not to mention supplementing your mathematical education with some more applied aspects).

my school (UCSB) doesn't allow students to take classes that arent in their major (stupid, I know), but I have been looking into becoming a physics major. The only problem is that its already the last quarter of my junior year so I would have so much catching up to do.

qazwsxedc said:
my school (UCSB) doesn't allow students to take classes that arent in their major (stupid, I know), but I have been looking into becoming a physics major. The only problem is that its already the last quarter of my junior year so I would have so much catching up to do.

How are you liking UCSB? I am considering transferring there for their theoretical physics program.

qazwsxedc said:

Ah, that is unfortunate, and makes sense you wouldn't want to change with only ~a year left.

Have you considered finishing up your math degree and then going to grad school for physics?

One of my profs is a theoretical physicist and he intentionally did his undergrad in math as preparation for a grad program in theoretical physics.

You can just take classes unofficially--that is, just sit in on them after talking to the professor. No one will know, and if the professor allows it, you get to learn physics without the hassle of grades as well as learning what you love. Or you could try to get a minor in physics, depending on how many extra courses you'll need.

qazwsxedc said:

Out of personal curiosity, how exactly does that work? Surely a physics or chemistry major would be permitted to take math courses, or an anthropology major would be permitted to take gender studies courses?

qazwsxedc said:

Then why don't you declare yourself a double-major in math and physics?

1. How do I find a mentor or tutor for theoretical physics?

One way to find a mentor or tutor for theoretical physics is to reach out to professors or researchers at universities or research institutions who specialize in this field. You can also search online for tutoring services or join online communities and forums dedicated to theoretical physics where you can ask for help and guidance.

2. What are some good resources for learning about theoretical physics?

There are many resources available for learning about theoretical physics, including textbooks, online courses, and educational websites. Some popular resources include "Introduction to Theoretical Physics" by John D. Walecka, "The Theoretical Minimum" series by Leonard Susskind, and the "Theoretical Physics" section on Khan Academy.

3. How can I improve my mathematical skills for theoretical physics?

Mathematics is a crucial component of theoretical physics, so it is important to have a strong foundation in this subject. You can improve your mathematical skills by practicing regularly, seeking help from tutors or online resources, and taking courses specifically focused on the mathematical concepts used in theoretical physics.

4. What are some common challenges in studying theoretical physics?

Studying theoretical physics can be challenging for many people, as it requires a strong understanding of advanced mathematical concepts and the ability to think abstractly. Some common challenges include grasping abstract concepts, solving complex equations, and staying updated with the latest research and theories in the field.

5. How can I apply theoretical physics in practical situations?

Theoretical physics is the foundation for many practical applications in fields such as engineering, technology, and medicine. To apply theoretical physics in practical situations, it is important to have a solid understanding of the principles and theories and to continuously seek out opportunities for real-world applications through internships, research projects, or collaborations with professionals in related fields.