Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to get QFT operator expectation values?

1. Sep 21, 2008 #1
    I am having some great difficulty getting intuition out of the standard quantization of the Klein-Gordon Lagrangian.

consider the H operator. In QM, the expectation values for H in any eigenstates |n> is just
    <n|H|n>

now, in QFT, suppose I have a state |p> in the universe, what do I get if I measure the energy?

well, simply the eigenvalues under H, so E_p. But if I go ahead and try:
    <p|H|p>, i get [tex]\delta (0) E_p (2\pi)^3 (2E_p)[/tex]
    so, how should I make sense of <p|H|p> ?

in general, suppose I have an operator, Q, corresponding to a measurement of some observables, how do I find the expectation values? specially when the states are not eigenstates of Q?

One more question, what does the state
    [tex]\left|\psi \right> =a\left| 0 \right> + b\left | p \right>[/tex] mean? and how should it be normalized?
    i.e. [tex]\left< \psi \left| \psi \right>[/tex] should be what?

Also, In the usual QM, we can roughly think of psi as a state who's probability of being in 0 is |a|^2 and probability of being in p is |b|^2. However, that is completely based on the fact that <0|0> = <p|p>=1, <0|p>=0. in QFT, <p|p> gives delta function at zero, so how to interpret psi?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2008 #2

olgranpappy

Homework Helper

The problem you are having doesn't seem to be with QFT, but rather with non-normalizable states... like eigenstates of the momentum operator. Even in single particle quantum mechanics if you try to take expectation values with these states you will end up with a dirac-delta evaluated at zero.

Maybe try to explain in a bit more detail exactly what you are trying to do.

4. Sep 22, 2008 #3
    Ah, I see. For some reason, the idea that those interpretations are the same as in the usual momentum eigenstates escape me. I see it clearly now - specially after a good night's sleep. I'll think for a bit and see if I have any further question though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?