How to get to a PhD in Applied Physics ?

In summary: Thanks for the input!In summary, an undergrad pursuing a physics major should consider a major in CS with some classes in engineering science and mechanics.
Wertle
Hey everyone! I've spent a lot of time checking out various posts through this site but I'm definitely in need of some guidance right now so I figured I'd ask a question of my own.

Basically I'm an undergrad (sophomore) right now, and I'm pretty positive I want to work my way up to an eventual doctorate in applied physics. I love programming and I'm hoping to structure my career around computer modeling and simulation of physical systems.

My problem is I'm not really sure what to do as an undergrad to get there. Right now I'm pursuing a double major in Computer Science (CS) and Engineering Science and Mechanics (ESM). I chose ESM because it seemed very similar to applied physics and I loved the research going on in the department (I'm at Virginia Tech in case anyone cares).

Lately I've been questioning my decision of ESM. While I love the department, I'm not as fond of the classes. Most of the students are engineers more interested in solving the problem than understanding the physics, and I have to take about 14 credits of fluid mechanics and 12 credits of deformations that just don't interest me the way Electromagnetic Theory and Quantum Mechanics do. However the ESM dept at VT is very well regarded and does a lot of phenomenal research.

So, is it time I left ESM for a physics major?

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't really help you specifically with your end goal.. but I would say that most of the engineers that I'm in classes with (I'm a physics major) are just like you've described. They're more into JUST the application, rather than understanding the theory. From what my physics advisor has told me, going to grad school in ANY physics based program, pretty much requires a physics major.

I could be wrong, but I don't think you'll take classes in Modern Physics/optics and QM as an ESM major, and those are 100% necessary for a physics grad program.

I too went around a bit, I was a physics major, then a mathematics major, but now I'm back to physics... and it's amazing.

I'm, similarly, VERY interested in understanding the theory, rather than just knowing how to use it... and physics is the major for me.

For what you want to do, my intuition says that CS + Physics would be the perfect combo, although you may want to wait for someone with more experience in that type of a field to comment on it.

just my 2 cents :)

If you want a PhD in physics, of any stripe, the best preparation is an undergraduate degree in physics.

You don't really need a degree in CS for programming and building models/simulations.

Thanks for the replies guys. Just to clarify a few things, the way I'm setting up my ESM major it has a pretty good number of physics classes in it. I'm taking Electromagnetic Theory, Intro to Quantum Theory, Intro to Relativity, etc. Just not as much of those as I could be. And I definitely want to do CS in addition to whatever else because I love programming and I have enough extra credits that I would be taking like 12 credit hr semesters without a double major.

Also I thought it was common for people to go into applied physics from ESM, but I'll definitely look into that more to be sure. I hadn't even considered that it might not be an option.

1. What is the minimum educational requirement for a PhD in Applied Physics?

The minimum educational requirement for a PhD in Applied Physics is a bachelor's degree in a related field, such as physics, engineering, or mathematics. Some programs may also require a master's degree.

2. How long does it typically take to complete a PhD in Applied Physics?

The length of time to complete a PhD in Applied Physics varies depending on the individual program and the student's progress. On average, it takes 4-5 years to complete the required coursework and research, followed by writing and defending a dissertation.

3. What types of research opportunities are available in a PhD in Applied Physics program?

PhD programs in Applied Physics typically offer a wide range of research opportunities, including nanotechnology, renewable energy, materials science, and quantum computing. Students can also work on interdisciplinary projects with other departments, such as biology or chemistry.

4. How important is GRE score for admission into a PhD in Applied Physics program?

While a high GRE score can certainly strengthen your application, it is not the only factor considered by admissions committees. Other important factors include your academic record, research experience, letters of recommendation, and personal statement.

5. What career opportunities are available for those with a PhD in Applied Physics?

With a PhD in Applied Physics, graduates can pursue careers in academia, research and development, and industry. They may also work in government agencies or national labs, or choose to start their own companies in fields such as technology or renewable energy.