Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to get Von Mises stress for section on Abaqus

1. Mar 11, 2015 #1
    I am doing FEA analysis using Abaqus and I need to get the average/min/max Von Mises stress for a section rather than the Von Mises stress for each individual element.

I have tried using python scripts such as http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=184288 however I have had no success as of yet.

Has anybody any suggestions on how I can go about this ?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2015 #2
    I'm not sure: Is this even a physically meaningful quantity? (Do you mean a solid section or a cross-section, btw?)
    Do you want to weigh the von Mises stress by the element volume (if so, you need to output IVOL or EVOL to the odb).
    If you have a set for the section you want to average over, you can do it directly in cae in the following way:
    1. Use the xy plot manager to create a plot of von Mises stress vs time for all elements in your set.
    2. Use "operate on xy data". As a function, use "sum", then select all the xy-curves you just created, this will give you a summed-up curve.

Final tip: If you want to know what python commands this corresponds to, look into the abaqus.rpy.

(Of course you can also do it using a python script as the one you linked - this should work (why did it not? what was the problem?)

4. Mar 16, 2015 #3
    @Sonderval Thank you very much this has been a great help and we have been able to pull the results that we require from abaqus.

Our problem when trying to run the python script is that we keep getting a syntax error on line 25 - '' def getMaxMises(Job-2,WHITE_MA) : ''

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook