1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to go from being a physicist to be a mechanical engineer?

1. Jun 9, 2012 #1
    hello all, I am a new here. I just graduated as a physicist. I know that my bachelor on physics will not give me a good job, I am thinking to go from being physicist to be a mechanical engineer. Is that easy? does anyone tried that? what courses do I have to take? and the most important, is this a good choice?

any opinion is appreciated, thank you all

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2012 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Welcome to PF.
    Of course you realize you have to do a course in mechanical engineering.
    The college course usually has a physics requirement which you have already passed, and you already have a lot of the skills you need, so it will be easier for you than starting fresh.

I did it in the other direction - but before finishing the engineering degree.

4. Jun 9, 2012 #3
    Yes, this is a good choice. Especially, if you want a highly salaried job. You may take master degree in mechanical engineering. Also you may give exams for certification in mechanical engineering. Because many companies request certified engineers.

5. Jun 9, 2012 #4
    Thank you all

I liked this idea

6. Jun 10, 2012 #5
    There are many amazing jobs for physics Bachelors. Most of them wont be about inventing the new revolutionizing theory of everything, but finding something amazing with "just a physics bachelors" is not at all impossible.

7. Jun 11, 2012 #6
    In the last 35 years I've had many engineering coworkers who made the transition simply by applying for an engineering job. Just be ready in the interview to give them good reason to believe that you have a high interest and passion for the type of work they want you to do.

8. Jun 11, 2012 #7
    Thank you for the motivation you just give:smile:. But do you have on your mind any of such amazing things that physicists may find :confused:?

9. Jun 11, 2012 #8

You mean physicists coworkers?

thank you for your advice

10. Jun 11, 2012 #9
    I mean people employed as engineers, but with a physics education.

11. Jun 11, 2012 #10
    :cool:cooooooooooool:cool:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook