1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to go from limit of vector norm to 'normal' limit

1. Dec 11, 2012 #1
    This is not really a homework question, but i've come across this while preparing for a test

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let [tex]f:U \subseteq R^n -> R^m[/tex] be a function which is differentiable at [tex]a \in U[/tex], and [tex]u \in R^n[/tex]
    It is then stated that it is clear that:
    [tex] lim_{t \to 0} \frac{||f(a+t*u)-f(a)-D_f(t*u)||}{||t*u||} = 0 => lim_{t \to 0} \frac{f(a+t*u)-f(a)-D_f(t*u)}{|t|} = 0[/tex]

How do they get this result?

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've tried using the epsilon/delta-def of limits but where the first limit is about real numbers, the second is about vectors in the R^m, so im totally confused.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2012 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Denominator: ##||t \cdot u|| = |t| \cdot ||u||## and the limit is linear in ##||u||##.
    Numerator: The norm of a vector can go to 0 if and only if the vector itself goes to 0.

4. Dec 11, 2012 #3
    I know ofcourse ||v||=0 iff v=0, but why is this still true when i put a limit in front of it?

5. Dec 11, 2012 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

You can show it for each component in some basis, for example. They all go to 0.

6. Dec 11, 2012 #5
    It is the definition that vector v converges to vector w if the norm of their difference converges to 0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook