How to go from limit of vector norm to 'normal' limit

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Berrius
Messages
19
Reaction score
0
This is not really a homework question, but I've come across this while preparing for a test

Homework Statement


Let [tex]f:U \subseteq R^n -> R^m[/tex] be a function which is differentiable at [tex]a \in U[/tex], and [tex]u \in R^n[/tex]
It is then stated that it is clear that:
[tex]lim_{t \to 0} \frac{||f(a+t*u)-f(a)-D_f(t*u)||}{||t*u||} = 0 => lim_{t \to 0} \frac{f(a+t*u)-f(a)-D_f(t*u)}{|t|} = 0[/tex]

How do they get this result?

The Attempt at a Solution


I've tried using the epsilon/delta-def of limits but where the first limit is about real numbers, the second is about vectors in the R^m, so I am totally confused.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Denominator: ##||t \cdot u|| = |t| \cdot ||u||## and the limit is linear in ##||u||##.
Numerator: The norm of a vector can go to 0 if and only if the vector itself goes to 0.
 
I know ofcourse ||v||=0 iff v=0, but why is this still true when i put a limit in front of it?
 
It is the definition that vector v converges to vector w if the norm of their difference converges to 0.