How to graph the tangent to a curve at some point?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Juwane
Messages
86
Reaction score
0
Using a graphing software, I'm trying to graph three things:

1. The function [tex]x^2[/tex].
2. It's derivative [tex]2x[/tex].
3. The tangent to the curve at point 3.

Now I know that that if I want to find the slope of the curve at point 3, I should substitute 3 into the derivative [tex]2x[/tex], which will give 6. What I want is the tangent line, not it's slope, at point 3. What equation should I input into the software to show the tangent to the curve at point 3? Please help.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Asking the program to get the line tangent to a point on the graph probably depends on the program.
Why not use the equation for a tangent line at point (a, f(a))
y = f'(a)(x - a) + f(a)
 
Bohrok said:
Asking the program to get the line tangent to a point on the graph probably depends on the program.
Why not use the equation for a tangent line at point (a, f(a))
y = f'(a)(x - a) + f(a)

It worked! How did you derive this equation?

EDIT: Never mind, I've find out.
 
Last edited: