The line y = ax + b is tangent to the graph

In summary, the line y=ax+b is tangent to the graph at two distinct points. The value of $| a+b |$ is found by solving (1) for x in terms of y.
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Hi MHB,

I've come across a math problem lately and it seems so interesting to me but I don't understand the statement below, which caused me failed to think of a good method to solve it.

"The line is tangent to the graph at exactly two distinct points."

I understand that if we have a function, says, $y=(x^2-4)^2$, then $y=0$ is a tangent line to the curve at two distinct points, namely $(-2,0)$ and $(2,0)$.

View attachment 1475

But in the problem as stated below, I honestly don't see how could a straight line can be a tangent to the given curve at two distinct points.

Problem:
The line $y=ax+b$ is tangent to the graph of $y=x^4-2x^3-9x^2+2x+8$ at exactly two distinct points. What is the value of $| a+b| $?

The only thing that I could think of to "force" the line $y=ax+b$ be the tangent to the curve is by drawing the green line that touches the curve at its extrema. This is a wrong tangent line, of course because the real tangent line at the extrema has zero slope...I think I am missing something (very important) here...

Any insight that anyone could give would be greatly appreciated.:)

View attachment 1477

Attachments

• Tangent to the curve.JPG
    Tangent to the curve.JPG
    9.8 KB · Views: 54
  • Graph.JPG
    Graph.JPG
    25.9 KB · Views: 57
Physics news on Phys.org
Re: The line y=ax+b is tangent to the graph

anemone said:
The only thing that I could think of to "force" the line $y=ax+b$ be the tangent to the curve is by drawing the green line that touches the curve at its extrema. This is a wrong tangent line, of course because the real tangent line at the extrema has zero slope...I think I am missing something (very important) here...

Hi anemone!

You can strike out the "of course", because a tangent line does not have to be horizontal.

In the extrema of a function, you do have a horizontal tangent, but that's not what this question is about.

The green line you have drawn is the right one.
Note that it does not touch the graph at its extrema, but slightly to the left where the slope is indeed angled down.

To solve the problem, you need to find 2 points with the same tangent slope $a$ (the derivative) and those 2 points also have to lie on both the curve and the line.

I like Serena said:
Hi anemone!

You can strike out the "of course", because a tangent line does not have to be horizontal.

In the extrema of a function, you do have a horizontal tangent, but that's not what this question is about.

:eek: I do realize that, I actually meant to say the tangent line at the extrema has zero slope...:)

I like Serena said:
The green line you have drawn is the right one.
Note that it does not touch the graph at its extrema, but slightly to the left where the slope is indeed angled down.

I don't get this, I like Serena, I'm sorry...(Sweating)

How much should we adjust the line in order to move it to the left and yet touches the curve at only two distinct points?

I have drawn it and I noticed that if I move the line slightly to the left, then line touches the curve only once...:(View attachment 1478

Attachments

• Graph2.JPG
    Graph2.JPG
    12.5 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:

anemone said:
Hi MHB,

I've come across a math problem lately and it seems so interesting to me but I don't understand the statement below, which caused me failed to think of a good method to solve it.

"The line is tangent to the graph at exactly two distinct points."

I understand that if we have a function, says, $y=(x^2-4)^2$, then $y=0$ is a tangent line to the curve at two distinct points, namely $(-2,0)$ and $(2,0)$.

View attachment 1475

But in the problem as stated below, I honestly don't see how could a straight line can be a tangent to the given curve at two distinct points.

Problem:
The line $y=ax+b$ is tangent to the graph of $y=x^4-2x^3-9x^2+2x+8$ at exactly two distinct points. What is the value of $| a+b| $?

Any insight that anyone could give would be greatly appreciated.:)

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/1477

Setting $\displaystyle x_{1}$ and $\displaystyle x_{2}$ the abscissas of the tangents point You can write...

$\displaystyle y^{\ '} (x_{1}) = y^{\ '} (x_{2})$

$\displaystyle y(x_{2}) = y(x_{1}) + y^{\ '} (x_{1})\ (x_{2} - x_{1})\ (1)$

... and then solve (1) in the unknown quantities $\displaystyle x_{1}$ and $\displaystyle x_{2}$... Kind regards $\chi$ $\sigma$

anemone said:
Problem:
If the curve $y=x^4-2x^3-9x^2+2x+8$ touches the line $y=ax+b$ at two points then the difference $x^4-2x^3-9x^2+2x+8 - (ax+b) = x^4-2x^3-9x^2+(2-a)x+(8-b)$ will have two repeated roots, in other words it will be equal to $(x^2+px+q)^2 = x^4 + 2px^3 +(p^2+2q)x^2 + 2pqx + q^2$. Comparing coefficients of $x^3$ and $x^2$, you see that $p=-1$ and $q=-5$. Then compare the coefficients of $x$ and the constant term to see that $2-a=10$ and $8-b = 25$. Thus $a=-8$, $b=-17$ and the line is $y=-8x-17$.

Using that method, you get the additional information that the $x$-values at the points of tangency will be the roots of $x^2+px+q=0$, or $x^2-x-5=0$, namely $x = \frac12(1\pm\sqrt{21}).$

anemone said:
I don't get this, I like Serena, I'm sorry...

How much should we adjust the line in order to move it to the left and yet touches the curve at only two distinct points?

I have drawn it and I noticed that if I move the line slightly to the left, then line touches the curve only once...

I'm confused.
As far as I can tell you understand perfectly.

More specifically, your set of equations is:
\begin{cases}
y'(x_1)&=4x_1^3 - 6x_1^2-18x_1+2&=a \\
y'(x_2)&=4x_2^3 - 6x_2^2-18x_2+2&=a \\
y(x_1)&=x_1^4 - 2x_1^3-9x_1^2+2x_1+8&=ax_1 + b \\
y(x_2)&=x_2^4 - 2x_2^3-9x_2^2+2x_2+8&=ax_2 + b \\
q &= |a + b|
\end{cases}

The problem asks you to find $q$.
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/1477

If you read off the y-coordinate of the green line in your graph at x=1, you can tell that $a+b \approx -25$.
So $q \approx 25$.

EDIT: From Opalg's response we can conclude that $q=25$.

Opalg said:
If the curve $y=x^4-2x^3-9x^2+2x+8$ touches the line $y=ax+b$ at two points then the difference $x^4-2x^3-9x^2+2x+8 - (ax+b) = x^4-2x^3-9x^2+(2-a)x+(8-b)$ will have two repeated roots, in other words it will be equal to $(x^2+px+q)^2 = x^4 + 2px^3 +(p^2+2q)x^2 + 2pqx + q^2$. Comparing coefficients of $x^3$ and $x^2$, you see that $p=-1$ and $q=-5$. Then compare the coefficients of $x$ and the constant term to see that $2-a=10$ and $8-b = 25$. Thus $a=-8$, $b=-17$ and the line is $y=-8x-17$.

Using that method, you get the additional information that the $x$-values at the points of tangency will be the roots of $x^2+px+q=0$, or $x^2-x-5=0$, namely $x = \frac12(1\pm\sqrt{21}).$

Thank you Opalg for the solution! :)

I like Serena said:
I'm confused.
As far as I can tell you understand perfectly.

More specifically, your set of equations is:
\begin{cases}
y'(x_1)&=4x_1^3 - 6x_1^2-18x_1+2&=a \\
y'(x_2)&=4x_2^3 - 6x_2^2-18x_2+2&=a \\
y(x_1)&=x_1^4 - 2x_1^3-9x_1^2+2x_1+8&=ax_1 + b \\
y(x_2)&=x_2^4 - 2x_2^3-9x_2^2+2x_2+8&=ax_2 + b \\
q &= |a + b|
\end{cases}

The problem asks you to find $q$.If you read off the y-coordinate of the green line in your graph at x=1, you can tell that $a+b \approx -25$.
So $q \approx 25$.

EDIT: From Opalg's response we can conclude that $q=25$.

Hey I like Serena,

I want to thank you for your patience to guide me through the problem...it appeared that I was over thinking...

I understand it perfectly now, after reading the posts from Opalg and yours...

Thank you, I like Serena, for the help!:)

Related to The line y = ax + b is tangent to the graph

What does it mean for a line to be tangent to a graph?

When a line is tangent to a graph, it means that the line touches the graph at only one point and has the same slope as the graph at that point.

How can I determine if a line is tangent to a graph?

To determine if a line is tangent to a graph, you can use the slope-intercept form of the equation for the line (y = ax + b) and the equation for the graph. The line is tangent to the graph if the slope (a) of the line is equal to the slope of the graph at the point where they intersect.

Can a line be tangent to a graph at more than one point?

No, a line can only be tangent to a graph at one point. If a line intersects a graph at multiple points, it is not considered a tangent.

How is the slope of the tangent line related to the derivative of the graph?

The slope of the tangent line is equal to the derivative of the graph at the point of tangency. This is because the derivative represents the rate of change of the graph at a given point, which is the same as the slope of the tangent line.

What information do I need to find the equation of the tangent line to a graph?

To find the equation of the tangent line to a graph, you need to know the coordinates of the point of tangency and the derivative of the graph at that point. Using these values, you can plug them into the point-slope form of the equation for a line (y - y1 = m(x - x1)) to determine the equation of the tangent line.