1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to ground EMF shielding/clothing?

1. Mar 22, 2013 #1
    For example if a hat is lined with nickel,
    silver, EMF paint, etc. , then how do you
    ensure the hat is grounded? I am a little
    unsure what grounding means relating to
    these forms of usage as I have seen EMF protective clothing advertised as grounded.By EMF I mean sufficient for all freq with the exception of possibly Gamma Rays but not a material that produces Gamma Radiation as a result of the interaction either. What types of metals, and or materials would you use? For
    example nickel, silver, gold, etc?
    I guess an X Ray hat would be an example
    of what I mean but other examples of hats/clothing exist capable of
    blocking a wider array of frequencies. So I know they are made by the military, and privately.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2013 #2

nsaspook

Science Advisor

4. Mar 22, 2013 #3
    You didn't read my question I'm refering to EMF shielding not sandwich foil.

5. Mar 22, 2013 #4

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Once you get into the X-Ray range it becomes extremely difficult to shield against. The higher frequency x-rays start to penetrate even thick shielding. Since UV, Visible, and much of the Infrared bands are easily blocked by normal clothing, I assume you want to block mostly Microwave and Radio waves. To my knowledge a thin metal sheet or weave would easily work, but I am no expert on EMF shielding.

6. Mar 22, 2013 #5
    Yeah but what type of metal? X Ray hats can be bought online however I'm talking about the entire spectrum, and the manufacturing of one, not the purchase.

7. Mar 22, 2013 #6

nsaspook

Science Advisor

Solid or mesh beryllium copper is about the best low cost shielding for most of the RF spectrum. Is this for “electrosmog”?

8. Mar 22, 2013 #7
    No it's not only radio frequencies. The metal, or combo of metals must block radio, infared, x-ray, etc.

9. Mar 22, 2013 #8

Bobbywhy

Gold Member

Typical Conductive materials for EMF Shielding and Conductive Fabric are Nickel, Silver, Copper, Cobalt, Stainless Steel. The selection depends on the application. For example, This Nickel/Copper coated polyester mesh window screen material provides >50dB over 10 MHz-3 GHz. See the selection chart at:
    http://www.lessemf.com/fabric_guide.html [Broken]

Bobbywhy

When the term "grounded" is used normally that means there is a conductor connected from the object to ground. Electronics assembler workers wear ESD wrist straps that have a wire connected to "GROUND" to discharge (or not allow) any electrostatic charge buildup on their bodies which can destroy sensitive electronics.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  10. Mar 22, 2013 #9

berkeman

What is the application?

11. Mar 22, 2013 #10

Drakkith

X-Ray hat? Unlikely. The required material would be far too heavy to wear. Just think of the lead apron you wear at the dentist or doctors office. It ain't light.

Not going to happen. Not unless you want to wear 10 pounds of lead on your head to block the X-Rays.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook