How to handle equipment moving as professor/advisor?

Main Question or Discussion Point

So our group advisor had to move our equipment from one lab to another since the department was moving to another building. Our advisor and us pitched in using uhaul to bring it where it was needed.

I MAY choose academia in the future and personally, I would not want my students to have to handle the move themselves. Is there any alternative way to handle it? Is there a good reason to do it the way formerly described, anyway?

Answers and Replies

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
You have two options. Option A is to spend the money for your university's riggers. Often you get this:

Option B is to do it yourself.

I've traveled the world a fair bit. I can't say that is the case everywhere. Wonder why some have that mentality.

BillTre
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2018 Award
It depends how far the trip is.

It also depends on how things have to be packed.
There are many cases where no one else will know how to do it.
Special, large, complex instruments and equipment, animals, cultures, chemicals, frozen materials.

If things are well packed they can be treated like fragile crates.
My sister packs displays for the Smithsonian. They make crates with an item secured and shock absorbed inside.

I think that, as well as considering the quality of the payload, you have to pack meet to the requirements of the mode of transportation you are using.

Is there a good reason to do it the way formerly described, anyway?
To dig up all the secret stashes of the 'it'll came handy someday' stuff and share all the relevant story behind is a great way to maintain the legacy and the spirit of the lab community (I mean, if it is not just a place).

Last edited:
That's actually quite true. Happens often whenever our lab group is moving stuff.