How to increase 5GHz wireless range for RT-AC68U

In summary, your issue may be due to the distance between your router and the dead spot, or it may be because the building you're in doesn't have any wired networking. You might be able to solve your problem by moving the router, adding an AP or repeater, or by wiring the building.
Edwardorange1909
Hi, I'm new to the forum and i am encountering a problem with my wifi router
I am using RT-AC68U in a house that farthest place to the router is about 15 meter away but with 3 walls between it and my cellphone. I am getting weak signal and sometimes it disconnects from 5GHz band but 2.4GHz is working fine with full bars. I know that 5GHz is weaker compare to 2.4GHz to pass the walls but I think 15 meter and 3 walls should not cause that much problem.
Is there any way to make its signal stronger?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Reflectors or better antenna might work but what are you trying to achieve? Is your 2.4GHz limiting? My 2.4GHz link is faster than my broadband connection so not much point in trying to make the WiFi go faster.

Otherwise how about putting a WiFi AP in your room and connecting it to the existing network over the mains using PowerPoint adaptors?

Hi, After considering your suggestions about the Reflectors, I asked my best friend to make it for me. But he continously said that my problem could be solved by... buying a new wireless router. he also gave me this website, said that this is the most reliable source because they write quite lengthy and properly..
Here it is: https://gearupz.com/best-modem-router-combo/. But I see this is an affiliate website so I don't so if i can trust them (and my friend) or not. Could you recommend me about this problem
best Regard

Myself, I would not trust any "affiliate" site for unbiased reviews. They get paid for directing traffic to a seller, therefore it is in their best interest to post the most glowing reviews possible for the items that pay them the most. At least this one is upfront about it, somewhat unusual.

Every building I've paid attention to has WiFi dead spots; it's just the nature of WiFi and the environment. You may be able to cover a deadspot my moving the WiFi transmitter a short distance, sometimes a few inches or sometimes a few feet.

If the building is already wired for networking, you can add an access point (AP) or another router where needed. If it's not wired, add a repeater somewhere between the existing WiFi transmitter and the dead spot you want to cover. A repeater works in both directions, it receives a signal and the rebroadcasts it. Many routers can also be configured to act as a repeater.

Likes jim mcnamara

1. How can I increase the 5GHz wireless range for my RT-AC68U router?

There are a few ways to increase the 5GHz wireless range for your RT-AC68U router. One method is to adjust the antenna placement to optimize the signal strength. You can also try changing the router's channel and using a Wi-Fi analyzer to find the least congested channel. Additionally, upgrading to a higher-gain antenna or using a Wi-Fi extender can also improve the 5GHz range.

2. Can I boost the 5GHz range of my RT-AC68U router without purchasing additional equipment?

Yes, you can boost the 5GHz range of your RT-AC68U router without purchasing additional equipment. As mentioned before, adjusting the antenna placement and changing the channel can help improve the range. You can also try updating the router's firmware to the latest version, which may include performance enhancements.

3. What is the maximum range for the 5GHz band on the RT-AC68U router?

The maximum range for the 5GHz band on the RT-AC68U router can vary depending on the environment and any potential sources of interference. In general, the 5GHz band has a shorter range compared to the 2.4GHz band, but it also offers faster speeds and less interference. With optimal conditions and no obstacles, the 5GHz range can reach up to 230 feet indoors and 820 feet outdoors.

4. Can the placement of my RT-AC68U router affect the 5GHz range?

Yes, the placement of your RT-AC68U router can significantly affect the 5GHz range. Placing the router in a central location, away from obstructions such as walls and furniture, can help improve the signal strength and range. It's also essential to keep the router away from potential sources of interference, such as microwaves and cordless phones.

5. Is there a way to measure the 5GHz range of my RT-AC68U router?

Yes, you can measure the 5GHz range of your RT-AC68U router using a Wi-Fi analyzer app or software. These tools can provide information on the signal strength and signal-to-noise ratio for each channel. You can use this data to optimize your router's settings and improve the 5GHz range.