1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to increase chances of getting into the college I want?

1. Apr 23, 2007 #1
    What are different ways I can increase the chance of getting into the college I want to go to?

I'm in grade 11 right now.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2007 #2
    Good grades and lots of extracurricular activities.

4. Apr 23, 2007 #3
    do something you love and show dedication to it

5. Apr 23, 2007 #4

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

ask admissions officials at the college of your choice. some colleges all you have to do is apply, others there is a low chance of anyone getting in.

6. Apr 23, 2007 #5
    what college? MIT? Caltech? Georgia Tech? Stanford? UCLA? Duke? what major? EE? ME? Physics? Chem engineering?

there's many other factors that contribute

7. Apr 23, 2007 #6

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Have your parents donate a major science building, or a new med school wing, to the college you wish to attend.

8. Apr 23, 2007 #7

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

get real. focus on learning, as opposed to absorbing prestige from your university.

9. Apr 23, 2007 #8
    Have a personality. Give that impression to the interviewer, get into and rank real good (if you don't, you don't have much chance) competitions (math, physics, chemistry, etc.). Get into extra curricular activities that require creativity and engagement from your part and most importantly, those activities have to be things that you like. Get good grades, good SAT scores, and get your teachers to write you excellent recommendation letters.

10. Apr 24, 2007 #9
    I want to go to Caltech, but I don't know what I want to do yet. Definitely something math or science related (physics and calculus are my favorite subjects)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?