Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to increase the voltage by using CS5173?

1. Mar 21, 2017 #1
    Hello~all,thanks for taking time to read my thread. I'm in hot water now,Can anybody here help me out?
    Please look at the following picture,I would like to rise the voltage from 24V to 36V. And I did it according to the datasheet of CS5173. However,the chip always burned out ! I can’t understand what occurred ? Does anyone know ?Are the two parts in the picture of 22uH coupling transformers? Or they are absolute inductance?

Thank you in advance!
    Wishes~
    3.20.1.png

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2017 #2

lewando

Gold Member

Per the datasheet that you have referenced, the absolute maximum rating of Vcc is 35 V. You can exceed that at your peril. Never operate at the absolute maximum rating. All test conditions in the datasheet indicate a 30 V maximum, that is probably a good maximum operating point for long term reliability.

Those dots are for reference when using coupled inductors. If the 2 inductors are coupled, then the polarity dots should be observed. If not coupled then it does not matter.

4. Mar 21, 2017 #3

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Put a few diodes or zenner in series with VCC before the capacitor?

5. Mar 21, 2017 #4

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

which voltage ?

6. Mar 21, 2017 #5

But how do I know if them are coupled inductors? Could you explain it more clearly?Thank you!

7. Mar 22, 2017 #6

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

An ordinary single inductor isn't polarised, you can fit it either way around. With two coupled inductors (aka transformer) the polarity of one inductor with respect to the other matters. That's why they put a dot. Google transformer dot convention.

8. Mar 22, 2017 #7

lewando

Gold Member

Here is an example of coupled inductors:
    http://www.coilcraft.com/pdfs/msd1260.pdf

The circuit you provided in your OP shows polarization if you choose to use coupled inductors. You do not need to use coupled inductors. Since you have built something already, why don't you tell us what specific components you are using. Also include what diode are you using.

Does this mean it never worked? Even at 24 V? Or is there a specific input voltage that makes it fail? What output current are you trying to provide when it fails?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted