High Voltage A-synchronous Buck Converter (100V -> 28V)

In summary, the circuit on the stripboard does not work as expected. The problem may be due to the lack of a 12V Vdd supply for the ICs.
gdylp2004
Hi guys,

I'm new in here and hope I could get some advices.

I am designing a 100V-28V DC-DC Buck converter (as per tittle) and has successfully tested on breadboard.

The problem is when I've transferred everything to the stripboard, the circuit does not work. This is confusing to me because isn't connection made on the stripboard should perform better since parasitic components are lesser?

From my schematic attached, you can see that the 12V Vcc for the 2 IC chips (IR2117 & TC4420EPA) are powered by 2 different auxillary supplies at different times. What I've done is basically construct 2 linear series reg. (one from the 100V V+ and other from the 28V Vout) as could be seen. My idea is, during start-up, Vcc is supplied via the 100V series linear reg for a very short time and once Vout achieved 28V, the supply of Vcc is then transferred and will be drawn from the 28V Vout instead. This should be easily understood by most experts here.

Weird thing is everything worked out perfectly on breadboard but not on stripboard. WHY?

Upon troubleshooting, I've found no zero short circuit between paths, all zener diodes and NPN transistors are also working fine. BUt when I do an o-scope on the base of the NPN transistor (100V linear series reg.), I've realized that the base voltage (or the zener voltage) did not have the chance to climb till 12V. In theory, as long as V+ > 12V, the 12V zener will hold at this voltage even if we ramp more than 12V to V+.

In the o-scope graph attached, (V+ = 30V), it should already have a high enough voltage to ramp Vb > 12V? But the waveform on oscope doesn't seems to be the case (see VB_30.jpg attachment).

The waveform tells me that Vb attempts to rise but dropped to zero immediately after ~3.2V like that.

WHY? This could be the very reason why my circuit can't work because the IC doesn't have a 12V Vdd to start with.

Attached are my schematic, stripboard layout and the o-scope readings.

Could anyone help? Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• full_sch.jpg
    full_sch.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 903
  • sch_grid.jpg
    sch_grid.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 611
  • VB_30.jpg
    VB_30.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 566
Engineering news on Phys.org
Some additional photos of the real thing.

Attachments

• full_front.jpg
    full_front.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 487
  • full_back.jpg
    full_back.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 506

1. What is a high voltage a-synchronous buck converter?

A high voltage a-synchronous buck converter is an electronic circuit that is used to convert a high voltage input (such as 100V) to a lower voltage output (such as 28V) using a process called switching. It is commonly used in power supply applications to regulate and control the voltage output to a specific level.

2. How does a high voltage a-synchronous buck converter work?

A high voltage a-synchronous buck converter works by using a combination of inductors, capacitors, and switches to convert the high voltage input into a series of high frequency pulses. These pulses are then filtered and smoothed to produce a stable lower voltage output. The frequency of the pulses can be adjusted to control the voltage output.

3. What are the advantages of using a high voltage a-synchronous buck converter?

Some advantages of using a high voltage a-synchronous buck converter include its high efficiency, compact size, and ability to step down high voltages to lower, more manageable levels. It also has a fast response time and can handle large current loads, making it ideal for a wide range of electronic applications.

4. What are the limitations of a high voltage a-synchronous buck converter?

One limitation of a high voltage a-synchronous buck converter is that it can only step down voltages, not step them up. It also requires careful design and precise component selection to ensure proper operation and prevent damage to the circuit. Additionally, it may produce electromagnetic interference (EMI) and requires appropriate shielding and filtering to minimize this effect.

5. What are some common applications of a high voltage a-synchronous buck converter?

A high voltage a-synchronous buck converter is commonly used in various electronic devices, including power supplies for computers, TVs, and other appliances. It is also used in renewable energy systems, electric vehicles, and other high voltage applications where efficient and precise voltage regulation is required.