How to Integrate $\frac{1}{x(lnx)^2}$ Using $u$-Substitution

• MHB
  • Thread starter karush
  • Start date
In summary, the given integral is equal to $\frac{1}{2\ln(2)}$. This is obtained by first making a $u$-substitution and then simplifying the resulting integral.
karush
Gold Member
MHB
$\tiny{242.2q.3a}$
\begin{align}\displaystyle
I_{3a}&=\int_2^{4} \frac{1}{x(ln \, x)^2} \, dx\\
u&=\ln \, x \therefore du=\frac{1}{x}\, dx
\end{align}
$\textsf{substitute $\ln \, x =u$}$
I_u&=\int_2^{4} \frac{1}{u^2} \, du\\
&=-\left[\frac{1}{u}\right]^{4}_2 \\
%&=\frac{1}{u} \right|_2-\frac{1}{u} \right|^{4}\\
\end{align}
$\textsf{back substitute $u=\ln \, x $}$
&I_{3a}=\frac{1}{\ln \, 2 }
-\frac{1}{2\ln \, 2 }
\end{align}
$\textit{think this ok, wasn't sure on simplifying😎}$

Physics news on Phys.org
We are given:

\(\displaystyle I=\int_2^4 \frac{1}{x\ln^2(x)}\,dx\)

After making your $u$-substitution, we have:

\(\displaystyle I=\int_{\ln(2)}^{2\ln(2)} u^{-2}\,du=-\left[u^{-1}\right]_{\ln(2)}^{2\ln(2)}=\frac{1}{\ln(2)}-\frac{1}{2\ln(2)}=\frac{1}{2\ln(2)}\)

You did fine, although when making the substitution I would change the limits in accordance with the substitution, and then simplify the final answer. :D

Related to How to Integrate $\frac{1}{x(lnx)^2}$ Using $u$-Substitution

What is 242.2q.3a int u subsubsection?

242.2q.3a int u subsubsection is a specific section within a larger document or research paper that is designated as a subsubsection under the main heading of "242.2q.3a". It is typically used to organize and categorize information within a larger body of work.

What is the purpose of using subsubsections in scientific writing?

Subsubsections, like 242.2q.3a int u subsubsection, are used to further divide and organize information within a larger document. This helps readers to easily locate and understand specific information, and also allows for a more detailed and thorough presentation of data and findings.

How is the numbering system for subsubsections determined?

The numbering system for subsubsections, such as 242.2q.3a int u subsubsection, is typically determined by the author or publisher of the document. It is often based on a hierarchical structure, with each number or letter representing a different level of subordination within the larger document.

Can subsubsections be used in all types of scientific writing?

Yes, subsubsections can be used in all types of scientific writing, including research papers, reports, and articles. They are particularly useful in longer and more complex documents, where breaking down information into smaller sections can help with organization and clarity.

How can I create subsubsections in my own scientific writing?

To create subsubsections in your own scientific writing, you can use the heading or formatting options in your word processing software. Choose a unique heading or label for the subsubsection, such as 242.2q.3a int u subsubsection, and format it to be smaller and subordinate to the main subsection. You can also consult the specific style guidelines for your field or publication for more specific instructions.