W.8.7.23 int trig u substitution

In summary, the conversation discusses the integration of $\int \sin^3(t) \cos^2(t) \ dt$ using the substitution method. The suggested method is to substitute $u=\cos(t)$ and then integrate. The final answer is $\frac{\cos^5(t)}{5}-\frac{\cos^3(t)}{3}+C$, but there is uncertainty about the correctness of the solution and a request for suggestions. The conversation also includes a discussion about formatting in LaTeX and the difficulty of choosing a suitable substitution for integration problems.
karush
Gold Member
MHB
$\tiny{Whitman \ 8.7.23}$
\begin{align}
\displaystyle
I&=\int \sin^3(t) \cos^2(t) \ d{t} \\
u&=\cos(t) \therefore du=-\sin(t) \, dt \\
\textit{substitute $\cos(t)=u$}&\\
I_u&=-\int (1-u^2) u^2 \, du=-\int(u^2-u^4) \, dt\\
\textit{integrate}&\\
&=-\left[\frac{u^3}{3}-\frac{u^5}{5}\right]
=\left[\frac{u^5}{5}-\frac{u^3}{3}\right]\\
\textit{back substitute $u=\cos(t)$}&\\
I&= \frac{\cos^5(t)}{5}-\frac{\cos^3(t)}{3}+C
\end{align}
$\textit{think this is correct but suggestions??}$
$\textit{also how is text like "substitute" left justifed withinn an align?}$

Physics news on Phys.org
That's correct and probably the most efficient method. As for the LaTeX, double-slashes generate a new line.

I would use the \begin \end environment instead:

\(\displaystyle \begin{array}{lr} & u=\cos(t)\therefore du=-\sin(t) \\ \text{substitute }\cos(t)=u & \end{array}\)

greg1313 said:
That's correct and probably the most efficient method. As for the LaTeX, double-slashes generate a new line.

thanks..
I have a really hard time with u subsubsection ,, especially choosing one that will require the least amount of steps. the best examples have always been here...😎

1. What is "W.8.7.23 int trig u substitution"?

W.8.7.23 int trig u substitution is a specific topic within mathematics, specifically in the field of calculus. It involves using the substitution method, also known as u-substitution, to solve integrals involving trigonometric functions.

2. Why is u-substitution used in trigonometric integrals?

Trigonometric functions can be difficult to integrate using traditional methods, but u-substitution allows us to simplify the integral by substituting a new variable for the trigonometric function. This often makes the integration process easier and more manageable.

3. How do you use u-substitution in trigonometric integrals?

To use u-substitution, we first identify a trigonometric function within the integral. Then, we choose a new variable, typically denoted as u, and rewrite the integral in terms of u. Finally, we solve for the integral using u and substitute back in the original variable at the end.

4. What are the steps for solving a trigonometric integral using u-substitution?

The steps for solving a trigonometric integral using u-substitution are as follows:

1. Identify a trigonometric function within the integral.
  2. Choose a new variable, typically denoted as u, to substitute for the trigonometric function.
  3. Rewrite the integral in terms of u.
  4. Solve for the integral using u.
  5. Substitute back in the original variable to get the final answer.

5. What are the benefits of using u-substitution in trigonometric integrals?

Using u-substitution can make the integration process for trigonometric functions much simpler and easier to manage. It also allows us to solve more complex integrals that may not be possible using traditional integration methods. Additionally, it can help us to identify patterns and relationships between different trigonometric functions, leading to a deeper understanding of calculus concepts.