1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to interpret or read this?

1. Dec 1, 2015 #1

WIN

can anyone help with this type of graph... trying to get the relationship between the y n x axis...maybe the gradient ..but i dont know how to read this graph due to the scaling...guide pls?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2015 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

Could you please translate the labels on the axes?

As for the scaling, it is a log-log plot. On the y axis, the lines between 1 and 10 are 2, 3, 4, etc., the lines between 10 and 100 and 20, 30, etc., and so on.

4. Dec 1, 2015 #3

WIN

its rate of flow at x-axis and pressure loss (head loss)at y axis

5. Dec 1, 2015 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You enter this chart with a given value of Q in liters / sec. and then follow a vertical line upward until it intersects one of the DN lines. Then you draw a horizontal line from this intersection to the left axis and read the value of Δh.

6. Dec 1, 2015 #5

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

I'm not sure what the different DN correspond to, but following a given DN line, you get the pressure as a function of the rate of flow, in a logarithmic scale as I explained previously.

7. Dec 1, 2015 #6

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I suspect the DN lines represent different sizes of something: a pipe, a fitting, or some such.

8. Dec 1, 2015 #7

WIN

yup..thx a lot.. i just looked up on the log-log plot in wiki... was lost due to the plotting style..
    DN XX is the size of valve according to German standards like ISO standard...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted