How to learn functional analysis

In summary: Yes, it covers all that a first class on a topic covers. You can of course go way beyond this. It depedends on what your goal is and why you study it.If you've taken real analysis, why not learn point-set topology anyways? It isn't difficult if you have the right textbook (i.e. don't start off with Willard!) and imo easier than functional analysis.
wdjhit
I major in physics, but I'm also very interested in mathematics, especially analysis. Until now, I have taken mathematical analysis and real analysis. Now, I want to learn functional analysis by myself,
and my teacher adviced me to read topology first. But I found it difficult to understand and may take too much time. So, do I really need to know topology before I study functional analysis? Can you give me some advice?

Physics news on Phys.org
wdjhit said:
I major in physics, but I'm also very interested in mathematics, especially analysis. Until now, I have taken mathematical analysis and real analysis. Now, I want to learn functional analysis by myself,
and my teacher adviced me to read topology first. But I found it difficult to understand and may take too much time. So, do I really need to know topology before I study functional analysis? Can you give me some advice?

No! You don't need to know topology for functional analysis (although it cerainly helps). A very good book that introduces functional analysis at a rather basic level (meaning: no prereq knowledge of topology and measure theory) is Kreyszig: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0471504599/?tag=pfamazon01-20 The book goes rather far without assuming too much. Of course, with only a basic prereq knowledge assumed, it can't do everything in the "best" possible way. For example, the ##L^2## spaces are not treated in the most intuitive way, since it requires measure theory.

Another good book is Reed & Simon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0125850506/?tag=pfamazon01-20 However, it is rather terse, and I wouldn't recommend it to an undergrad without much experience in pure math. He doesn't assume topology and measure theory, but he goes over it far too quickly to be of any use to an undergrad. It's one of my favorite books though.

More advanced books definitely need a good and solid knowledge of topology and measure theory.

If you're interested in PDE, then this book is good: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0387709134/?tag=pfamazon01-20 Although it might be too advanced for an undergrad.

If you're interested in QM, then this book is excellent: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0486453278/?tag=pfamazon01-20 It only deals with Hilbert spaces though, and not with Banach spaces. But he does go a long way without many prereqs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks very much! Actually I have the book written by Kreyszig. It is simple, and clear, and also because of this I'm worried whether the book can offer me all the materials that a functional class covers. Anyway, I can have a look at the other books you recommended and finally choose one for further studying. Many thanks!

wdjhit said:
Thanks very much! Actually I have the book written by Kreyszig. It is simple, and clear, and also because of this I'm worried whether the book can offer me all the materials that a functional class covers. Anyway, I can have a look at the other books you recommended and finally choose one for further studying. Many thanks!

Yes, it covers all that a first class on a topic covers. You can of course go way beyond this. It depedends on what your goal is and why you study it.

If you've taken real analysis, why not learn point-set topology anyways? It isn't difficult if you have the right textbook (i.e. don't start off with Willard!) and imo easier than functional analysis.

What is functional analysis?

Functional analysis is a branch of mathematics that studies vector spaces and linear transformations between them. It is a powerful tool for studying and solving problems in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics.

Why is functional analysis important?

Functional analysis is important because it provides a framework for understanding and solving complex problems using mathematical tools. It allows for the analysis of functions as well as the spaces in which they are defined, leading to a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts and their applications.

What are some applications of functional analysis?

Functional analysis has numerous applications in various fields such as quantum mechanics, signal processing, and optimization. It is also used in the study of partial differential equations, control theory, and functional equations.

What are the basic concepts of functional analysis?

Some of the basic concepts of functional analysis include vector spaces, linear transformations, norms, inner products, and functionals. Other important concepts include Banach spaces, Hilbert spaces, and operators.

How can I learn functional analysis?

Learning functional analysis requires a solid understanding of linear algebra and calculus. It is also helpful to have a good foundation in real and complex analysis. There are many resources available for learning functional analysis, including textbooks, online courses, and lectures. It is also beneficial to practice solving problems and working through proofs to improve understanding and retention of the concepts.