How to learn pure math and other stuff

In summary, As an engineering student taking a year off, the individual was trying to teach themselves linear algebra and set theory from a mathematical point of view. They found that the way it is taught to engineers is an insult to the subject and they struggle with specific theorems. However, they believe that understanding the theory allows for application to any problem, as the problems are just variations of the theory. They also asked for advice on how to tackle certain topics, such as quantum mechanics, functional analysis, and complex analysis. The easiest to tackle first is complex analysis. The individual was also wondering about the usefulness of translating theorems into words and found that it can be helpful for understanding theorems and choosing which ones to use in
pawan28612
hey guys,
iam an engineering student taking a year off (after my first year) and i was trying to teach myself linear algebra and set theory from a mathematical point of view
( the way that linear is taught to engineers is frankly an insult to the subject) and i find that i keep getting stuck at specific theorems.

now i believe that if u get the theory u can then apply it the problems and it should follow that no matter how hard the problems are they are merely a variation of the theory which is basically a generalization of the problem.
am i right ? or just confused? :cry:

i was wondering how to deal with theorems. for example it is useful to translate theorems into words and then think about them?

also i would wondering generally wat are the undergrad topics i need to know to study the following subjects on my own. ?(i study great on my own i can easily bet that all the math that i have learned over the years is because iam motivated by some strange for to do math in my spare time didnt learn a thing in first year calc pissed me off)

1) quantum mechanics:!)
2) Functional analysis :devil:
3) Complex Analysis:grumpy:

also which of these topics is the easiest to tackle first ?:biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
complex analysis is the the easiest. It merges with basic Calculus beautifully.

Quantum mechanics requires a lot of linear algebra, Complex Analysis, Differential Equation, Vector Calculus and etc. I think the maths of it is beyond most engineering programme that i know of.

Functional Analysis usually requires knowledge of topology, analysis, intergral equation. You really have to know something about real space b4 getting into that.

check out some of the posts in my thread who wants to be mathematician.

I am a novice with regards to pure maths. But from my little experience so far, the best advice (which I got from my lecturer) is to 'think logically and work hard'. This probably goes for other stuff as well but it seems especially relevant to pure maths as it has no empirical content.

i was wondering how to deal with theorems. for example it is useful to translate theorems into words and then think about them?
Yes... and no!

There are theorems that tell you things you already know. It is important to translate these theorems into words, but not for the reason you expect! When you "know" how to "prove" something in words, you need to know which theorems to use to turn your words into something rigorous.

For example, consider the triangle inequality for vectors:

[tex]||x + y|| \leq ||x|| + ||y||[/tex]

When you translate this into words, it says that the length of one side of a triangle is shorter than the sum of the lengths of the other two sides.

But the usefulness of this translation is not so that you can understand the theorem!

Suppose you're trying to do a proof/calculuation/whatever, and you "know" that something ought to be true because the length of one side of a triangle is shorter than the sum of the lengths of the other sides. Well, then you know you that the triangle inequality will be a useful thing for making your work rigorous!

Sometimes, theorems tell us about new things. In such a case, translations are only analogies, and can sometimes be very misleading. But as you use these new things, and these theorems, you will eventually intuit these new concepts and new words to go with them, and then this theorem will become a theorem about things you already know!

Sometimes, it is not useful to try and translate something into words. Theorems often tell you something you can "do", and when you're used to abstract reasoning, it can be surprisingly efficient to forget what things "are", and just manipulate them algebraically.

This is also a useful approach to theorems you have much difficulty understanding -- if you just take it abstractly, you can often still use the theorem to good effect. And if you use it often enough, it will eventually make sense. But I want to emphasize that this approach is useful even for things you understand!

For example, the triangle inequality for vectors!

[tex]||x + y|| \leq ||x|| + ||y||[/tex]

Sometimes, you'll be doing a proof/calculation/whatever, and you will have written down ||x + y||. It is frequently useful to obtain an upper bound on whatever you're calculating, and that's precisely what the triangle inequality does.

The triangle inequality tells you things that you can do -- one such thing is to take an expression such as ||x + y|| and immediately write down a (possibly simpler) upper bound ||x|| + ||y||. It is extremely useful to simply throw that into your bag of tricks, without the attached baggage of a geometric interpretation.

(once you've finished your calculation, it may or may not prove fruitful to go back and reinterpret everything geometrically)

What is the best way to approach learning pure math?

The best way to approach learning pure math is to start with the basics and build a strong foundation. This means mastering arithmetic, algebra, and geometry before moving on to more advanced topics. It is also important to practice regularly and seek help from teachers or tutors when needed.

How can I improve my problem-solving skills in math?

One way to improve problem-solving skills in math is to practice solving different types of problems. This will help you become familiar with different problem-solving techniques and strategies. It is also helpful to break down complex problems into smaller, more manageable steps and to seek feedback from others on your approach.

What are some resources for learning pure math?

Some resources for learning pure math include textbooks, online courses, and educational websites. It can also be helpful to join a math study group or attend math workshops or seminars. Additionally, many universities offer free or low-cost math courses for self-study.

How can I stay motivated while learning pure math?

Staying motivated while learning pure math can be challenging. One way to stay motivated is to set achievable goals and track your progress. It can also be helpful to find a study partner or join a study group to keep yourself accountable. Additionally, remind yourself of the real-world applications of pure math and how it can benefit your future career.

Are there any tips for understanding abstract concepts in pure math?

Understanding abstract concepts in pure math can be difficult, but there are some tips that can help. One tip is to draw diagrams or use visual aids to help visualize the concept. It can also be helpful to break down the concept into smaller, more concrete parts and to relate it to real-life examples. Additionally, practice and repetition can help solidify understanding of abstract concepts in math.