• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

How to like chemstry? [Looking for inspiration]

Main Question or Discussion Point

Dear friends, I've been having trouble focusing on chemistry with all these boring teachers I get at school. I want some help to increase my interest for chemistry so that I can research about chemistry alone at home. Dear friends, what are the ways I can think of chemistry and how should I think of it. Inspire me and motivate me, let me in directions that I'll never hate chemistry again. Thanks friends.

Answers and Replies

symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
Dear friends, I've been having trouble focusing on chemistry with all these boring teachers I get at school. I want some help to increase my interest for chemistry so that I can research about chemistry alone at home. Dear friends, what are the ways I can think of chemistry and how should I think of it. Inspire me and motivate me, let me in directions that I'll never hate chemistry again. Thanks friends.
You need to determine if you hate Chemistry, or if instead you just hate how it is being instructed for you. If you have poor instruction from an unmotivated teacher and no or poor laboratory activity, then sure, this you hate. Things get better in college. Instruction from qualified teacher or professors, good books, well designed although often too short, laboratory sessions.

About the hating or the liking of Chemistry, that is for you only. Nobody can change that. If you just basically hate it, nobody can change you to like it.

You need to determine if you hate Chemistry, or if instead you just hate how it is being instructed for you. If you have poor instruction from an unmotivated teacher and no or poor laboratory activity, then sure, this you hate. Things get better in college. Instruction from qualified teacher or professors, good books, well designed although often too short, laboratory sessions.

About the hating or the liking of Chemistry, that is for you only. Nobody can change that. If you just basically hate it, nobody can change you to like it.
Can you please suggest me some interesting books to study highschool chemistry?

symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
Can you please suggest me some interesting books to study highschool chemistry?
Not remembering where you are, I could only suggest introductory textbooks that might be used at any community college. Why, is probably good or better than good in quality; but by themselves will not give you any laboratory experience - no laboratory exercises, therefore still being a dull way to learn. I don't know any specific books to refer you to.

I was fortunate enough to be given an 'old fashioned' textbook on Organic Chemistry that took many enlightening detours into industrial processes, applications, history of developments etc etc etc etc. It was a fun read. By comparison, the modern curriculum text was bereft of such 'trivia' and dry as dust...

May I suggest you locate a library with a wide range of technical books and have a quiet browse ?
With a bit of luck, you'll stumble across stuff which will make you go, 'That's Interesting !'

Thank you for all your advice.

Not remembering where you are, I could only suggest introductory textbooks that might be used at any community college. Why, is probably good or better than good in quality; but by themselves will not give you any laboratory experience - no laboratory exercises, therefore still being a dull way to learn. I don't know any specific books to refer you to.
Do you know any books that give laboratory exercises? If so please direct me for some.

symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
Do you know any books that give laboratory exercises? If so please direct me for some.
No, and not useful if I did. One must have legitimate access to a suitable laboratory for doing laboratory exercises. The enrolled student in a college or university typically has this.

No, and not useful if I did. One must have legitimate access to a suitable laboratory for doing laboratory exercises. The enrolled student in a college or university typically has this.
I have access for the laboratory in our college.

symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
I have access for the laboratory in our college.
There you go. When you register for an introductory Chemistry course, a laboratory section comes with it and you do laboratory exercises. This is when you do attend college. The Chemistry instruction should be more satisfying than what you are finding currently. One problem in attending a course (college or university) is that each lab session is fairly short in time, so the student needs to be organized and use the allotted lab time efficiently.

Maybe it just isn't your thing. Happened to me.