How to load .mcs files into matlab?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of loading .mcs files, which are used in Lidar systems to measure back scattered photons, into MATLAB. The individual is unsure of how to do this and asks if there is a specific function to load these files. The responder suggests using a tool on MathWorks, but also mentions the possibility of the files being in HDF5 format. They suggest contacting the company for more information or using a hexdump program to determine the format. Additionally, they mention the possibility of the files being in LAS format due to the use of Lidar.
Eswin Paul T
I am working on Lidar systems and measure the back scattered photons using a Multi Channel Scaler(MCS) The data files are of .mcs format. I need to load these .mcs files into MATLAB. How do I do this in matlab? Is there any function to load these file extensions into matlab? Thanks in advance...

Physics news on Phys.org
If you know the format, you can write a routine to do it...

I think you'll have to contact the company that made the hardware and ask about the file format or if they have an interface for matlab.

HDF5 is a common format for scientific data such as this and it may well be that that is what they are using.

Have you used a dump program like hexdump (linux) to see if its ascii or binary formatted?

Since you mentioned LIDAR then I found these references about LAS file format:

http://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/10.3/manage-data/las-dataset/storing-lidar-data.htm

http://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/10.3/manage-data/las-dataset/what-is-a-las-dataset-.htm

1. How do I load .mcs files into Matlab?

To load .mcs files into Matlab, you can use the "load" function. This function takes the name of the file as its input and creates a variable containing the data from the file.

2. Can I load multiple .mcs files at once in Matlab?

Yes, you can load multiple .mcs files at once in Matlab by using the "load" function with a cell array of file names as its input. This will create a cell array of variables containing the data from each file.

3. What is the file format for .mcs files?

.mcs files are in binary format, which means they contain data in a series of 0s and 1s. This format is commonly used for storing large amounts of data efficiently.

4. How do I access the data from a loaded .mcs file in Matlab?

Once you have loaded the .mcs file into Matlab, you can access the data by using the variable name that was created during the loading process. You can then use standard Matlab functions to manipulate and analyze the data.

5. Can I convert .mcs files to other formats in Matlab?

Yes, you can convert .mcs files to other formats in Matlab by using the "save" function. This function allows you to save the data in a different format, such as a text file or a different binary format.