1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to locate Two spots where electric potential is zero

1. Nov 11, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A positive charge of +q1 is located 3.00m to the left of a negative charge -q2. the charges have different magnitudes.
    a) on the line through the center of the charges, the net electric field is zero at a spot 1.00m to the right of the negative charge. Determine the relative magnitude of the charges (charge ratio q1/q2)
    b) on this line there are two spots where the potential is zero. locate these two spots relative to the negative charge.

2. Relevant equations
    Ue=kq1q2/r
    V=Ue/q
    V=kq/r

3. The attempt at a solution
    for part a i got q1=+16 and q2=-1
    I'm not sure how to find these zero potential spots. I know they're supposed to be near the smaller negative value but I just can't figure out how to calculate out exactly where.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2009 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

q1 and q2 are magnitudes and thus positive. You found that q1/q2 = 16. Good!
    Write an expression for the total potential as a function of distance from the negative charge. You'll find it helpful to divide the line into 3 regions and write separate expressions for each region.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook