Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to lower melting point of solids (TiO2)?

1. Nov 9, 2009 #1
    Hi,

I'm currently doing experiments on a 99.9% TiO2 source powder.
    I was wondering if there is anyway to lower the melting point of this solid?
    If possible, without compromising its purity.

I only have access to an electrical furnace that is capable of reaching a maximum
    of 1200 degC only. Seeing that this material has a melting point of around 1800 degC,
    I am kinda stuck right now.

By the way, I also have access to a relatively primitive vaccuum technology. I tried
    to seal my sample in a quartz tube then lowered the pressure inside up to around
    10-6 torr. But I am not sure if this really has a significant effect, for I
    have learned before that a change in pressure does greatly affect the boiling point
    but I am not sure to the extent of its effect on melting point of solids.

Hope for any replies or suggestions.

Thanks very much for any information.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2009 #2
    I'm not sure if there is much that you can do. Pressure can change the melting point, but the difference between atmospheric pressure and 10^-6 torr is quite negligible for a solid. If you could apply a pressure of 10-20 GPa that would be a different story, but it probably would not change the melting temperature in the direction you want!

4. Nov 9, 2009 #3

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The melting point is an intrinsic property of a solid, it can't be change without somehow altering the material itself. Lowering the pressure won't have any practical effect on a solid (nor would increasing it unless we are talking about REALLY high pressures).

5. Nov 12, 2009 #4
    i agree.by changing the melting point then the composition as well, will change.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook