Melting point of graphite and diamond?

Warp
TL;DR Summary
It's strangely difficult to find these temperatures online. Different sources give wildly different values. What are the actual temperatures?
I was conversing with ChatGPT when I asked which material has the highest melting point, and it answered "tungsten" (giving its melting temperature). It so happened that in the previous question the melting point of graphite had come up, and it was listed as higher than that. When I asked which one of the two has the higher melting point, it insisted that it's tungsten, even though in that very response it listed a higher temperature for graphite. ("Graphite has a melting point of approximately 3,550°C (6,422°F), while tungsten has a melting point of approximately 3,422°C (6,192°F). Tungsten has the higher melting point between the two materials.")

In fact, other similar AIs also give wildly different answers (and most of them incorrect by the numbers).

This seemed to be an AI hallucination, so I googled what the melting point of graphite is, and to my surprise I found wildly different answers from different sources, varying by, like, a thousand degrees.

(Yes, I know that graphite, and diamond, do not melt per se, they sublimate. However, by "melting point" I mean "the temperature at which it stops being a solid.)

Turns out that also the melting point of diamond seems equally vague. Googling for it gives wildly different results:

"Diamond has a very high melting point (almost 4000°C)"
"Thus, we infer that diamond melts at about 9,000 K and between 0.60 and 1.05 TPa along the Hugoniot."
"In case of Diamond, the melting point is 3550 degrees Celsius"
"However, the melting point of diamond is estimated to be around 3,000-3,500°C (5,432-6,332°F)."
"Using carbon's theoretical phase diagram below (from Wikimedia), "liquid diamond" could be achieved at about 10 GPa (99 thousand atmospheres) and 5000 K (4700 °C)."
"Diamond has the highest melting point (3820 degrees Kelvin)"
"The ultimate melting point of the diamond is around 4,027° Celsius (7,280° Fahrenheit)"

No wonder the AIs are confused about it. So am I.

In comparison, the melting point of tungsten seems to be quite universally agreed upon (and likewise all AIs give a very consistent value for it).

What is the melting (well, sublimation) point of graphite and diamond? (I suppose I should add, under normal pressure conditions.)

Physics news on Phys.org
Warp said:
Turns out that also the melting point of diamond seems equally vague.
A diamond will burn in the air at about 400°C. That makes melting diamond difficult, as it will often react chemically before it melts.

Likes Vanadium 50
Graphite, grapheme. diamond and liquid carbon are all phases. At atmospheric pressure, there may not be a direct phase transition from one phase to another. What is the freezing point of steam?

Vanadium 50 said:
Graphite, grapheme. diamond and liquid carbon are all phases. At atmospheric pressure, there may not be a direct phase transition from one phase to another. Where is the freezing point of steam?
It doesn't freeze here, but it does in Oymyakon. So is it somewhere near Omsk?

1. What is the difference between the melting point of graphite and diamond?

The melting point of graphite is 3,550°C, while the melting point of diamond is 3,827°C. This means that diamond has a higher melting point than graphite.

2. Why does diamond have a higher melting point than graphite?

Diamond has a higher melting point because of its strong covalent bonds. Each carbon atom in diamond is bonded to four other carbon atoms, creating a very strong and rigid structure. In contrast, graphite has weaker bonds between its layers, allowing them to slide over each other more easily.

3. Can the melting point of graphite and diamond be changed?

No, the melting point of graphite and diamond cannot be changed. It is a physical property of the materials and is determined by their atomic structure and bonding.

4. Is the melting point of graphite and diamond affected by pressure?

Yes, the melting point of graphite and diamond can be affected by pressure. Increasing pressure can increase the melting point of these materials, as it makes it more difficult for their atoms to break apart and transition into a liquid state.

5. What happens to graphite and diamond when they are heated to their melting points?

When heated to their melting points, both graphite and diamond will transition from a solid to a liquid state. However, due to the difference in their atomic structures, diamond will maintain its rigid structure in liquid form, while graphite will become a more disordered liquid.