How to make efficient and safe smoke for a wind tunnel

In summary: Cheap and easy, you just need a beekeeper's smoker and a bit of imagination.In summary, a wind tunnel is needed to study the wind patterns and variations. Smoke wands and smoke bottles are two possible options for creating the smoke. The beekeeper's smoker is a less polluting option for creating the smoke.
danjroman
Hey guys, so for my extended essay in physics i hav came up with a topic that required me to build a wind tunel. I already have that, but then now i need to make smoke or sumthing to pass through the wind tunnel to show the wind patterns and variations. Any ideas in how to create sumthing efficient, safe, and cheap because as of now I'm thinking incense is the way to go. Thanks a lot.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Smoke wands are usually simple heaters that vaporize an oil such as mineral oil to make the smoke. The professional units are a bit pricey but work very well of course. You can try to make your own but you may end up with just as much of a science project to get that working right as your tunnel.

Another option to consider would be the smoke bottles that puff out very fine powders. They are usually used for leak detection in HVAC, but they work very well and are cheap. The only thing is that they would not be continuous like a smoke wand.

Do a search under smoke wands and see what you can find. I am sure you'll run the gamut of prices and unit sizes.

Honestly, I think the incense idea wouldn't work to terribly well because the smoke is very low volume and dark. It will be tough to see. However, it is easy and cheap to try, so why not?

I think most commercial systems use engine oil heated with a hot wire in the nozzle.
Wind tunnels generaly don't have a problem with adequate ventilation.

There was a story about an computer maker (IBM/CRAY?) in the 60s using incense to search for airflow in the processor cooling. Picture a small unventilated room, a group of button-down shirt IBM type engineers and a lot of incense!
Management thought they had stumbled on some bizarre drug fuelled cult.

Another method (less polluting to your environment!) is to drip water onto dry ice producing a white "smoke".

Perhaps something like scale model train smoke would work.

I believe the tunnel in our lab burned kerosene (extremely rich ratio)

beekeepers have come up with a simple, adaptable device if you're imagining a roll-your-own wind tunnel. The bee's even find it enviromentally acceptable (good grief @ environmental paranoia).

Last edited:

1. How can I control the density of smoke in a wind tunnel?

The density of smoke in a wind tunnel can be controlled by adjusting the ratio of air to smoke particles. This can be done by either increasing or decreasing the amount of smoke being injected into the tunnel or by adjusting the airflow rate.

2. Is there a specific type of smoke that is more efficient and safe for wind tunnel testing?

Yes, there are various types of smoke that can be used in wind tunnel testing. However, the most commonly used type is mineral oil-based smoke, as it is non-toxic and does not leave residue on the test models.

3. How can I ensure the safety of the smoke for both the test subjects and the environment?

To ensure the safety of the smoke, it is important to use non-toxic and environmentally friendly smoke sources. It is also crucial to properly ventilate the wind tunnel and follow all safety protocols while handling and disposing of the smoke.

4. Can I reuse the smoke in a wind tunnel test?

Yes, the smoke can be reused as long as it is properly filtered and stored. However, it is important to regularly replace the smoke to maintain its quality and effectiveness in the wind tunnel.

5. How can I measure the efficiency of the smoke in a wind tunnel test?

The efficiency of the smoke in a wind tunnel test can be measured by using a laser light sheet or a Particle Image Velocimetry (PIV) system. These techniques can provide visualizations of the smoke and its movement within the tunnel, allowing for analysis of the flow patterns and measurement of the smoke's effectiveness.