Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to make longer file names and paths in Windows 8

1. Apr 23, 2016 #1
    Hi. I try to copy long file names and paths from one source to another but there is a problem. Windows cannot do the operation and gives this error. "File name(s) would be too long for the destination folder"
    So how can troubleshoot this problem?

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2016 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

You can shorten the filename and try again, or try a location that has a shorter path.

4. Apr 23, 2016 #3
    Yes, I could but I would like to change window's configurations so that I could copy them without changing their names. I do not want to change folder's names.

Thank you.

5. Apr 23, 2016 #4

anorlunda

Staff: Mentor

I don't think that is possible in Windows or any other file system that I know of.

6. Apr 23, 2016 #5

QuantumQuest

Gold Member

I would recommend what Vanadium 50 suggests. Alternatively you would try kb 2919355 from Microsoft, here https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2919355. This is a cumulative update for Windows RT 8.1, Windows 8.1, and Windows Server 2012 R2. I haven't used it but it claims that one of the issues it fixes, is the one you describe.

7. Apr 23, 2016 #6

QuantumQuest

Gold Member

Absolutely correct and it is an issue of Windows Explorer itself and not of the NTFS file system.

8. Apr 23, 2016 #7

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If the target directory is a subdirectory with a long path, you can define a drive letter that points directly to that target. If the source is also Windows, the destination file names will then be short enough to handle anything in the source path names.

9. Apr 23, 2016 #8

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

The problem with this is that you are exceeding an internal Windows limit. If we somehow manage to bypass this limit to get the file where you want it, there is absolutely no guarantee that you will be able to use it there. (Or, for that matter, to even delete it, so you risk borking your system) Problems may be subtle - for example, it might be possible to force this file to be created, but the name may be too long for the Registry entry of the application that opens it, rendering it useless.

10. Apr 23, 2016 #9

rcgldr

Homework Helper

Try to determine if it's just a few files. I'm on Windows 7, and only have one problem file, a secondary installer update for Visual Studio express, 163 characters long, ...kb3110221.exe with a very long prefix apparently used as parameters.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted