How to make sense of this velocity-time graph question?

• Thread starter TheExibo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graph
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving two people, one with a constant velocity and the other accelerating. The question asks if they pass each other and the answer is determined by looking at the areas under the velocity curves at different points in time. The correct answer is D, but the question is slightly ambiguous as it does not specify if the two people start at the same point in space.
TheExibo

Homework Statement

http://m.imgur.com/tAbHL6S[/B]

Homework Equations

Velocity=displacement/time

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought B at first because they start at the same position, so their relative velocities would determine their relative positions, but I guess not since the answer is D. I know that the area below the lines is also equal to the displacement, but how can you even be sure that they pass each other if you don't know what their velocities are?[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
You can see that the velocity from 0 to 4 is a straight line, and T. Swift has a constant velocity. So, since the velocity plots cross at 2 seconds, you know that the average velocity from 0-4 is the same for both of you...which means displacement at t=4 will be the same...indicating you will be at the same location at t=4.

So, do you pass her? Yes...since at t=4, you are moving faster.
Use the same logic for the last 4 seconds...seeing that you start the interval at the same location.

You are right to consider the area under the graph: that tells you the distance run.
Can you give a commentary on these areas at 2 second intervals, 2,4,6,8?

Edit: and do you know the area of a trapezium?

You started slower than swift, so where the two lines intersect at T=2, you're moving at the same speed, but you haven't caught up yet.. you are still accelerating.. you need to double that time to actually catch up lost ground and pass her.
Distance covered is the area under the curve, not the height of the curve.

The question is a little ambiguous.. it never explicitly says if you started at the same point in space... if you didn't, it's impossible to know when anyone passes the other...
D is still the best answer, B is definitely not.

Question 1: What is a velocity-time graph?

A velocity-time graph is a visual representation of an object's velocity (speed and direction) over a period of time. The horizontal axis represents time and the vertical axis represents velocity.

Question 2: How do I interpret a velocity-time graph?

To interpret a velocity-time graph, you can look at the slope of the line. A steeper slope indicates a greater velocity, while a flatter slope indicates a smaller velocity. You can also look at the direction of the line to determine if the object is moving in a positive or negative direction.

Question 3: What does the area under a velocity-time graph represent?

The area under a velocity-time graph represents the displacement (change in position) of an object. The larger the area, the greater the displacement.

Question 4: How can I calculate acceleration from a velocity-time graph?

To calculate acceleration from a velocity-time graph, you can use the formula acceleration = change in velocity/change in time. This can also be determined by finding the slope of the line on the graph.

Question 5: How can I use a velocity-time graph to predict an object's future motion?

By analyzing the slope and direction of the line on a velocity-time graph, you can predict an object's future motion. If the slope remains constant, the object will continue to move at a constant velocity. If the slope changes, the object's velocity will also change. Additionally, the direction of the line can indicate if the object will continue moving in the same direction or change direction in the future.