How to make the total length of a trail as short as possible?

In summary: OA ring, you might want to use a different technique than just drawing a straight line between them.In summary, a trail designer who works for a Boy Scout camp would use a straight line between the two campsites to connect them to the campfire circle.
moonman239
I'm just curious. Let's say a trail designer who works for a Boy Scout camp wants to build two trails that connect two campsites to the OA ring. How would he go about doing that?

I know that he would not use reflections (he would if he were, say, locating a point across the river such that the two trails that lead from the campsites to that point are as short as possible) and I don't think he'd find the circumcenter, incenter, or any other -center in the triangle and then make both a long trail through the circumcenter to the ring and a shorter trail that connects to the long trail at the circumcenter.

Physics news on Phys.org
If the only condition is to have two trails connecting the two campsites to the campfire circle, just draw a straight line from each campsite to the campfire circle.

HallsofIvy said:
If the only condition is to have two trails connecting the two campsites to the campfire circle, just draw a straight line from each campsite to the campfire circle.

The total length of the two trails must also be as small as possible. I trust that's the way?

moonman239 said:
The total length of the two trails must also be as small as possible. I trust that's the way?

A straight line is the shortest path from one point to another (if everything is flat and there are no other constraints).

If you have a situation where there is some extra 'cost' depending on what path you take, for example if there's a river in the way or if there's a hill or something, you'd use the calculus of variations to minimise the a path integral given some 'cost' function of the coordinates.

genericusrnme said:
If you have a situation where there is some extra 'cost' depending on what path you take, for example if there's a river in the way or if there's a hill or something, you'd use the calculus of variations to minimise the a path integral given some 'cost' function of the coordinates.

This may be true if you want to to model the situation, but the question posed seems to be more conceptual in nature. Here's what I suggest.

First put a pulley at the two endpoints that you want to find the shortest path from. Sloppily guess the shortest path by running a single rope through the two pulleys. Pull on both ends of the rope until it's taut.

If there's a lake in the way pretend it's fenced off, that way the rope conforms around the boundary (this should be true for any obstacle).

Then the rope has to be the shortest path between the two points.

moonman239 said:
Let's say a trail designer who works for a Boy Scout camp wants to build two trails that connect two campsites to the OA ring. How would he go about doing that?
The question is not clear to me, but I think you might be asking how to make the total length of trail connecting 3 points as short as possible.
If any angle of the triangle is 120 degrees or more, just connect each of the others straight to it. Otherwise, find that point where each pair of vertices subtends 120 degrees and connect each vertex straight to that.

theorem4.5.9 said:
This may be true if you want to to model the situation, but the question posed seems to be more conceptual in nature. Here's what I suggest.

First put a pulley at the two endpoints that you want to find the shortest path from. Sloppily guess the shortest path by running a single rope through the two pulleys. Pull on both ends of the rope until it's taut.

If there's a lake in the way pretend it's fenced off, that way the rope conforms around the boundary (this should be true for any obstacle).

Then the rope has to be the shortest path between the two points.

You'd have to try several different initial placments of the rope if there are obstacles though or you could end up with the situation where the rope is wrapped around some obstacle and doesn't actually take the shortest path (when you do this you are essentially doing what the calculus of variations does).

So that, rather than "make the total length of the trails as short as possible", the problem is really "make this rather trivial problem as complicated as possible"?

haruspex said:
The question is not clear to me, but I think you might be asking how to make the total length of trail connecting 3 points as short as possible.
If any angle of the triangle is 120 degrees or more, just connect each of the others straight to it. Otherwise, find that point where each pair of vertices subtends 120 degrees and connect each vertex straight to that.

That's it.

So, a straight line will do the trick, I guess. I thought of the possibility of connecting each campsite directly to the ring.

Now, let's say this trail designer has to not only connect the campsites to the OA ring (FYI, OA stands for Order of the Arrow, a program operated by the Boy Scouts of America. Order of the Arrow is for exemplary Scouts.) but he also has to connect them to each other.

Δ. From another angle, ∇.

1. What factors contribute to the length of a trail?

The length of a trail is determined by multiple factors such as terrain, elevation changes, obstacles, and desired difficulty level. Additionally, the layout and design of the trail can also impact its overall length.

2. How can I reduce the length of a trail?

To reduce the length of a trail, you can consider using switchbacks, avoiding unnecessary detours, and minimizing elevation changes. Additionally, optimizing the trail design to eliminate any loops or backtracking can also help shorten the overall length.

3. Is it possible to make a trail shorter without sacrificing its quality?

Yes, it is possible to make a trail shorter while maintaining its quality. This can be achieved by carefully planning the trail layout, utilizing switchbacks, and working around any natural obstacles or features.

4. Are there any tools or techniques that can help me determine the shortest possible length for a trail?

Yes, there are various tools and techniques that can aid in determining the shortest possible length for a trail. This includes using GIS mapping software, conducting on-site surveys, and consulting with experienced trail designers.

5. How can I balance minimizing the length of a trail with other considerations such as safety and sustainability?

When designing a trail, it is important to balance the length with other considerations such as safety and sustainability. This can be achieved by following best practices for trail construction, consulting with experts, and conducting thorough risk assessments to ensure the trail is safe and sustainable.