How to make your own particle accelerator

In summary, in order to make a particle accelerator for a science fair at a reasonable cost, you will need to be able to pull a hard vacuum and have a fair amount of RF power or high voltage. Alternatively, you could use a television or oscilloscope CRT, a van de graff generator, or create a theoretical model using wood, electromagnets, and carts. It is important to have enough distance between the carts and enough power for the electromagnet to ensure success.
Vals509
I am hoping to make a particle accelerator for a science fair, but am not sure on how to go about doing it. Can someone please give me some advice on what materials i will need to make an accelerator while at the same time being at a reasonable cost. Any websites will also help a lot.

P.S. I do not want anything too fancy, just something that can convey the msg of how it works, while at the same time, being presentable.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Engineering news on Phys.org
That cost thing is going to kill you. At the very least, you need to be able to pull a reasonably hard vacuum and either have a fair amount of RF power available, up to several MHz for cyclical accelerator types (such as the cyclotron) or high voltage for linear types (like a TV tube). It is a http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2006/06/11/boys-build-a-cyclotron/, but it takes a lot of time, effort and money to get one working. I remember many years ago, Scientific American had a miniature cyclotron project, but I haven't been able to find it.

That cost thing is going to kill you. At the very least, you need to be able to pull a reasonably hard vacuum and either have a fair amount of RF power available, up to several MHz for cyclical accelerator types (such as the cyclotron) or high voltage for linear types (like a TV tube). It is a doable project, but it takes a lot of time, effort and money to get one working. I remember many years ago, Scientific American had a miniature cyclotron project, but I haven't been able to find it.

i am not interested in a real accelerator, just one that can demonstrate the concept.

Last edited:
In that case, a television or oscilloscope CRT does that admirably.

A van de graff generator can be used as a particle accelerator and is the easiest to make.
Search for Van De Graff generator on google and I'm sure you can make one. It's much more simple when compared to something like a cyclotron.

Best of luck for your project.

what you could do is make a "theoretical model" rather than try and make something that works(especially because you just want to show how it works) you can do this.

make a track out of wood about 2-4 feet in length(distance becomes important later) glue it together(no nails!) then beneath the track in the middle place a large electromagnet, by placing an iron bar rapped in copper wire many times over. glue together a wooden base that has two wires sticking out the end and going to another box housing a battery and a switch(hey, it might be fun to make a "dynamite" style press box while you are at it just for fun.

on the top of the tack make two grooves for wheels and stops that you can move later(at this point i will say that maybe you should have made those grooves when making the track.) make two carts(where the wheels match the track grooves) than move freely. then glue(super) iron bars on top of the carts. fancy up the track by making wooden arches and paining them metallic for added effect, making sure that there are spaces large enough for the carts to fit in and out.

place the carts at both ends, turn on the switch and (hopefully) the two carts will smash together. if they do not, two things can fix this, one, move the carts closer together(see I told you it would be important) or two up the power of the electro magnet(this can get tricy if there are other metal objects nearby.

Hope that helps ~socrunningman

1. How does a particle accelerator work?

A particle accelerator is a machine that uses electromagnetic fields to accelerate and direct charged particles, such as protons or electrons, to high speeds close to the speed of light. These particles are then collided with a target or with each other, allowing scientists to study the fundamental building blocks of matter.

2. What materials are needed to make a particle accelerator?

A particle accelerator requires a vacuum chamber to keep the particles from colliding with air molecules, as well as a power source to generate the electromagnetic fields. It also needs a source of particles, such as hydrogen gas, and a target to collide the particles with.

3. How much does it cost to build a particle accelerator?

The cost of building a particle accelerator can vary greatly depending on its size and purpose. Small tabletop accelerators can cost a few thousand dollars, while large accelerators like the Large Hadron Collider can cost billions of dollars.

4. Are there any safety concerns when building a particle accelerator?

Safety is a top priority when building a particle accelerator. The high speeds and energies involved can be dangerous if not handled properly. Strict safety protocols, such as radiation shielding and proper training for operators, must be in place to ensure the safety of both the researchers and the surrounding environment.

5. Can I build my own particle accelerator at home?

Building a particle accelerator at home is not recommended. The equipment and materials needed are highly specialized and can be dangerous if not handled properly. It is also a complex and expensive endeavor that requires a deep understanding of physics and engineering. It is best to leave particle accelerator construction to professional scientists and researchers.