How to measure O2 in a chamber?

In summary, to calibrate an O2 measurement chamber, a known concentration of O2 gas must be used and adjusted until it reads accurately. There are various types of O2 measurement equipment that can be used, such as gas analyzers, oxygen sensors, and spectrophotometers, depending on the experiment's needs. To maintain a consistent O2 level, regular monitoring and adjustments are necessary using a feedback control system. It is recommended to wait at least 30 minutes before taking O2 measurements to allow for stabilization. The interpretation of O2 measurements depends on the specific goals of the experiment and can provide information about oxygen availability, respiration or photosynthesis rates, and the overall health of the chamber.
Si14
Dear all:

I want to make a chamber as O2-free. The chamber is not perfectly sealed, so it has some small holes. I have used N2 gas (by pumping N2 from one input and escaping of O2 from holes in junctions). Now, I want to measure the amount of remaining O2 inside chamber. How can I do that? Is there any meter or other non-destructive! way?

Thank you very much,
Regards

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Yes, there are electrochemical sensors that measure the partial pressure of oxygen; they are easily found with an Internet search.

1. How do I calibrate my O2 measurement chamber?

To calibrate an O2 measurement chamber, you will need a known concentration of O2 gas. This can be achieved by using a commercial gas mixture or by using a gas cylinder with a known concentration of O2. Place the O2 gas source into the chamber and adjust the O2 measurement equipment until it reads the known concentration. This will ensure accurate measurements in the future.

2. What type of O2 measurement equipment should I use?

There are several types of O2 measurement equipment that can be used in a chamber, including gas analyzers, oxygen sensors, and spectrophotometers. The type of equipment you choose will depend on the specific needs and requirements of your experiment. It is important to choose a reliable and accurate measurement device that is suitable for the conditions in your chamber.

3. How do I maintain a consistent O2 level in my chamber?

To maintain a consistent O2 level in your chamber, you will need to regularly monitor and adjust the O2 concentration. This can be achieved by using a feedback control system, where the O2 measurement equipment is connected to a controller that can adjust the O2 levels by changing the flow rate of O2 gas into the chamber. It is important to regularly check and calibrate the equipment to ensure accurate measurements and consistent O2 levels.

4. How long should I wait before taking O2 measurements in my chamber?

The amount of time you should wait before taking O2 measurements in your chamber will depend on the specific conditions and setup of your experiment. Generally, it is recommended to wait at least 30 minutes to allow the O2 levels to stabilize before taking measurements. However, factors such as the size of the chamber, type of O2 measurement equipment, and flow rate of O2 gas will also affect the waiting time.

5. How do I interpret the O2 measurements in my chamber?

The interpretation of O2 measurements in a chamber will depend on the specific goals and objectives of your experiment. Generally, O2 measurements can provide information about the availability of oxygen for organisms or chemical reactions, the rate of respiration or photosynthesis, and the overall health and functioning of the chamber environment. It is important to consider the context and purpose of the measurements when interpreting the data.