How to network two computers using dial up

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of networking two computers using a dial-up connection. The speaker asks for help and clarifies the need for a modem and the operating system being used. They also mention the possibility of using a different medium for connection if the computers are already networked.
okwatia
I want to network two computers using dial up connection. I need help

Computer science news on Phys.org
First off, this should probably be in the Computer Science or Technology forum, not homework (unless this is a homework problem, in which case you should show your attempt at a solution). A mod will probably be by to move this to one of those forums.

Next off, do you have a modem? Are you actually dialing out? More importantly, which operating system are you actually using? Are you attempting to do windows file sharing? Set up TCP/IP?

If the two computers are already networked, either through the internet, or through a local network, and they have IP addresses, it might be a whole lot easier to connect through this medium instead.

Would these two computers use different phone lines to the Internet or do you mean that the two computers are connected to each other’s modem by a phone line?

1. How do I physically connect two computers for dial up networking?

To physically connect two computers for dial up networking, you will need a telephone cable and a modem for each computer. Connect one end of the telephone cable to the modem and the other end to the telephone jack on the wall. Repeat this process for the second computer.

2. Do I need any special software for dial up networking?

Yes, you will need to install dial up networking software on both computers. This software will allow the computers to communicate with each other and establish a connection through the telephone line.

3. How do I set up a dial up networking connection?

To set up a dial up networking connection, you will need to configure the network settings on both computers. This includes entering the telephone number for the remote computer, as well as the username and password for the connection.

4. Can I share files and resources between the two computers using dial up networking?

Yes, once the two computers are connected through dial up networking, you can share files and resources between them. This is known as a peer-to-peer network, where both computers have equal access to each other's files and resources.

5. What is the maximum data transfer rate for dial up networking?

The maximum data transfer rate for dial up networking is 56 kilobits per second (kbps). This is significantly slower than other types of networking, such as Ethernet or Wi-Fi, which have much higher data transfer rates. However, it is still a useful option for connecting two computers in a remote location where other types of networking may not be available.