Activation of Network Connection failed on Ubuntu 20.04

In summary, the speaker has been experiencing sporadic WiFi disconnections on their Ubuntu 20.04 laptop for several months. Despite changing WiFi providers and routers, the issue persists. When the disconnection occurs, the available networks can still be seen, but the system is unable to reconnect. Restarting the network-manager has not proven to be a solution, and the only way to fix the problem is to restart the laptop. The speaker is frustrated with this inconvenience, especially when working with multiple applications. They have searched for solutions online but have not found any that work. They are unsure of the source of the problem and are wondering if there are any log files that could help identify it. They are also looking for alternative solutions to restarting the laptop
Wrichik Basu
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
I am facing this issue since some months on my laptop running Ubuntu 20.04. The WiFi disconnects suddenly and cannot reconnect, and an error message is shown in the Notification saying "Activation of Network Connection failed." This is not a problem with the router because just a few days back, I changed our WiFi provider, and they installed a new router, but I faced the problem today once again. Moreover, when this occurs, I can still connect and access the internet on the same WiFi network on my phone.

Note that when the WiFi disconnects, I can still see all the available WiFi networks, but the system can't connect.

The issue occurs arbitrarily now and then, over both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz network. I have tried to restart the network-manager using sudo service network-manager restart, but it doesn't help. The only way to solve the problem is to restart the laptop. That is very irritating for me because I am often working with a number of applications open simultaneously like Android Studio, MATLAB, Texmaker and so on (and Chrome), and restarting the system means I will have to re-open them all over again. (Generally, I do not shut down my laptop; I suspend it overnight and wake it up in the morning.)

Upon searching, I found a number of websites like this one, but none of the solutions really worked (other than restarting). To be honest, I am not sure where exactly the problem is occurring. Are there any log files that I can check to find out why the problem is occurring?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Also, is there any other way to solve this issue than restarting the laptop? Any help is appreciated.

What does "Activation of Network Connection failed" mean?

When you see this error on Ubuntu 20.04, it means that your system was unable to establish a network connection. This could be due to a variety of reasons, such as incorrect network settings, a faulty network adapter, or a problem with your internet service provider.

How can I fix the "Activation of Network Connection failed" error?

There are several steps you can take to try and fix this error. First, check your network settings and make sure they are correct. You can also try resetting your network adapter or restarting your router. If the issue persists, you may need to contact your internet service provider for further assistance.

Why does this error only occur on Ubuntu 20.04?

This error can occur on any operating system, but it is more commonly seen on Ubuntu 20.04 because it uses the Netplan network configuration utility. Netplan can sometimes cause conflicts with other network management tools, leading to the "Activation of Network Connection failed" error.

Can a virus or malware cause the "Activation of Network Connection failed" error?

It is unlikely that a virus or malware would directly cause this error. However, if your system is infected, it could potentially disrupt your network connection and lead to this error. It is always a good idea to regularly scan your system for viruses and malware to prevent any potential issues.

Is there a way to prevent the "Activation of Network Connection failed" error from occurring?

The best way to prevent this error is to ensure that your network settings are correct and that your network adapter is functioning properly. It is also important to keep your system updated with the latest software and security patches. If you continue to experience this error, you may need to seek further help from a technical expert or your internet service provider.