1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Normalized equation for particle in a ring

1. Oct 16, 2016 #1

Titan97

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Normalized equation for particle in a ring, where V=0 on a ring of radius 'a' and infinite everywhere else.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Replcing x by rθ,
    $$-\frac{\hbar^2}{2I}\frac{\partial^2\psi}{\partial\theta^2}=E\psi$$
    By guess, I found out that ##Ae^{ik\theta}## is an eigenfunction of the hamiltonian.
    To find ##A##, I used:
    $$\int_0^{2\pi}|\psi|^2rd\theta=1$$
    But in the solution, they used
    $$\int_0^{2\pi}|\psi|^2d\theta=1$$So the normalization constants were different. Which one is correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2016 #2

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You are not integrating a function of ##r, \theta## over two dimensions. It's a simple one-dimensional integral for ##\theta##.

4. Oct 16, 2016 #3

Titan97

Gold Member

the particle moves along a ring. so the elemental length should be rdtheta

5. Oct 16, 2016 #4

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You've defined your ##\psi## in terms of ##\theta##. ##|\psi|^2## is the probability density function in terms of ##\theta##, not in terms of ##l## where ##l## is the arc length along the ring.

Normalisation means that the total proability is 1, so the simple integral of ##|\psi(\theta)|^2 d\theta## is required.

If you transformed ##\psi## into a function of arc length, ##l##, then you would integrate ##|\psi(l)|^2 dl##.

To illustrate this, a constant pdf for ##\theta## would be ##p(\theta) = \frac{1}{2 \pi}##, whereas a constant pdf for ##l## would be ##p(l) = \frac{1}{2 \pi a}##

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted