Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to obtain the rational function integration recursive formula

1. Jan 21, 2014 #1
    I've been dealing with several integrals involving rational functions. I have encountered myself arriving to an integral that requires the application of the following recursive formula:

[itex] \int\frac{1}{(u^2+α^ 2)^m} \, du= \frac{u}{2 α^ 2 (m-1)(u^2+α^ 2)^{m-1}}+\frac{2m-3}{2 α^2 (m-1)}\int\frac{1}{(u^2+α^ 2)^{m-1}} \, du [/itex]

as stated in Apostol's Calculus.

However, I am curious about the demonstration of this formula. Apostol states in his book that it is obtained by integrating by parts, but I don't see how... does anybody have any ideas?

Thanks!

Bibliography
    Calculus, Volume 1, One-variable calculus, with an introduction to linear algebra, (1967) Wiley, ISBN 0-536-00005-0, ISBN 978-0-471-00005-1

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2014 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi mr_sparxx! :smile:

put Im = ##\int\frac{1}{(u^2+α^2)^m} \, du##

then Im-1 = ##\int\frac{u^2+α^2}{(u^2+α^2)^m} \, du##

= ##\int\frac{u^2}{(u^2+α^2)^m} \, du## + α2Im

= (something)##\left[\frac{u}{(u^2+α^2)^{m-1}}\right]## + (something)Im-1 + α2Im

carry on from there :wink:

4. Jan 21, 2014 #3
    Awesome! :)
    Thanks tiny-Tim (specially for leaving some of the fun for me) ;P

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook