How to obtain the resonance frequencies of a given material?

In summary: I will try to reopen the thread shortlyIn summary, the conversation discusses the frequency of plasma in a study and the resonance frequency in eV. The speaker is trying to obtain the resonance frequency in Hz for PET material and is seeking clarification on the experimental setup and parameters needed. There is a mention of permittivity and a link to a resource on the Lorentz oscillator. The conversation is temporarily closed for moderation due to a language barrier.
Andre Teixeira
The frequency of plasma already achieved ... in a study, is presented the resonance frequency in eV, how to obtain in Hz? Wo = 7eV

Physics news on Phys.org
Andre Teixeira said:
The frequency of plasma already achieved ... in a study, is presented the resonance frequency in eV, how to obtain in Hz? Wo = 7eV
Welcome to the PF.

Can you provide a lot more context to your question and more details? What was the experimental setup?

Likes Andre Teixeira
Basically, my study is to draw a permissivity curve by frequency, using the Lorentz oscillator, I need some parameters, such as plasma frequency and resonance frequency of the material, I can not find in the literature the frequency of resonance of the PET material

Andre Teixeira said:
I can not find in the literature the frequency of resonance of the PET material

Resonance at audio ? RF ? what ? ( I'm assuming RF)
and please confirm what you mean by PET material ?
the mechanical resonance ( sound wave) of a block of material will depend on things like its size, shape, density, temperature etc

Likes Andre Teixeira
DaveC49 said:
Do you mean permitttivity rather than permissivity? Look up the definitions. You may find this link useful chrome-extension://oemmndcbldboiebfnladdacbdfmadadm/https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/electri...-spring-2011/readings/MIT6_007S11_lorentz.pdf

PET, Polyethylene terephthalate, I want to know how to obtain the parameters of the lorentz oscillator, for this material, PET, a material that requires an extra complexity not to be pure, like gold or aluminum

Sorry for bad English.

Sorry, I know there is a language barrier, but this thread is closed temporarily for Moderation...

1. How do you determine the resonance frequencies of a given material?

To determine the resonance frequencies of a material, you can use a technique called resonance spectroscopy. This involves applying an external force or energy to the material and measuring its response. The frequencies at which the material vibrates the most are its resonance frequencies.

2. What equipment is needed to obtain the resonance frequencies of a material?

The equipment needed for resonance spectroscopy includes a signal generator, an amplifier, and a detector or sensor to measure the material's response. In some cases, a computer may also be used to analyze and record the data.

3. Can the resonance frequencies of a material change over time?

Yes, the resonance frequencies of a material can change over time due to factors such as temperature, stress, and aging. This is why it is important to regularly test and monitor the resonance frequencies of materials in certain applications, such as in structural components or electronic devices.

4. How does the composition of a material affect its resonance frequencies?

The composition of a material can greatly affect its resonance frequencies. Different materials have different atomic and molecular structures, which can influence how they respond to external forces. For example, a material with a higher density or stiffness will typically have higher resonance frequencies.

5. Is it possible to calculate the resonance frequencies of a material without using experimental techniques?

In some cases, it is possible to calculate the resonance frequencies of a material using theoretical models and equations. However, these calculations may not always accurately reflect the real-world behavior of the material and experimental verification is often necessary.