How to plot complex vectors in Mathcad? (Electrical)

In summary, the conversation discusses plotting complex numbers in the complex plane using Mathcad. The speaker wants to plot the real and imaginary parts of the numbers on the x and y axes respectively, and set the trace type to 'points'. They also mention wanting to plot the numbers as vectors using the "line" trace, but are having difficulty. The expert summarizes that this is because Mathcad requires all points on a line trace to be specified, and suggests converting the complex numbers to vectors or creating a function to plot them directly. They also mention using Mathcad's Math Style feature.
EVriderDK

Homework Statement

I have to plot the following complex numbers into the complex plane:
X_C=0-1350i
X_L=0+980i
R_L=100+0i

Physics news on Phys.org
Plot Re(complex number) in x-axis and Im(complex number) in y-axis
Set the trace type for each value as 'points'

Attachments

• phys - 12 05 28 plotting complex numbers 01.zip
    4.4 KB · Views: 480
Thank you! How do i make them vectors on the graph? You know, a line with an arrow.

It is like the "line" traces does not work?

I need to tell mathcad that i want a line from 0,0 to X.C

EVriderDK said:
It is like the "line" traces does not work?

I need to tell mathcad that i want a line from 0,0 to X.C

Mathcad plots require that you specify all of the points on a line trace; it doesn't default to the origin. Consequently, you have to convert each of your complex numbers to a vector (with 0 as the first element) and then plot those vectors. Alternatively, you could create a function that takes a complex number, take the real or imaginary part and stacks it with zero - then plot the result directly.

See the attached worksheet for an example. It also shows how to use Mathcad's Math Style feature.

Attachments

• phys - 12 05 28 plotting complex numbers 01.zip
    12.4 KB · Views: 575
Likes hotrod89
Wow, thank you so much Nemo!

1. How do I represent complex vectors in Mathcad?

To represent a complex vector in Mathcad, you can use the complex number notation by entering the real and imaginary parts of the vector separated by a comma. For example, (3, 4) would represent the complex vector 3+4i.

2. How do I plot a complex vector in Mathcad?

To plot a complex vector in Mathcad, you can use the polar plot function. Simply enter the magnitude and phase angle of the complex vector in the plot function and specify the plot type as "polar". This will plot the complex vector on a polar coordinate system.

3. Can I plot multiple complex vectors on the same graph in Mathcad?

Yes, you can plot multiple complex vectors on the same graph in Mathcad. Simply enter the different vector components in the polar plot function and specify a different color or line style for each vector to differentiate them on the graph.

4. How do I add labels and titles to my complex vector plot in Mathcad?

To add labels and titles to your complex vector plot in Mathcad, you can use the "text" function. Simply enter the text you want to display and specify the coordinates where you want it to appear on the graph. You can also use the "title" function to add a title to your plot.

5. Can I export my complex vector plot from Mathcad to another program?

Yes, you can export your complex vector plot from Mathcad to another program. You can use the "export" function to save your plot as an image or use the "copy" function to copy it to your clipboard and then paste it into another program.